CoinPeople.com

Soviet Union type set - looks nice

gxseries

Thanks everyone.

Alex, sadly no. It's 1977. 1923 chervonets would be awesome but that will cost a lot ;) Btw your coins came in last week - sorry have been way too busy.

While Russian coins are getting expensive, turns out this kind of type set can be done rather reasonably. I found out that I am missing a fair bit of coins of the 1935-1937 set. :ninja:

Thanks everyone.

looks great !!

two comments:

*silver 10, 15, 20 kopek exist and rare - need to change a date from 1930 to 1931

*1924-1957 does not correspond presented coins - need to change 1924-1931 for these types and other types would start from different date for nickel and bronze coins

:ninja:;)

No small task, especially considering what a pain it is to find the 1/2 - 5 Kopek coins in better than miserable condition. As for the chervonetz, I wished I had bought one of the 1923's when they were still affordable.

Just made the first page - had trouble deciding where to place where and what. Still have some more coming up but here is the first page:

Are there plans to make some nice design for other side of the page too ?

And the hole for Chervonetz 1925 should probably be also reserved... :ninja:

Here's the second page:

http://www.gxseries.com/numis/rus_new_type...e_pg2_small.jpg

The RSFSR set looks amazing.

One-kuna, thanks for the advice. Should edit the date on the 1924-1957 though I'm not too sure if I should change the 1930 to 1931. I've never seen any of the silver kopek dated 1931!

Candidate - I think the 1925 chervonets is unrealistic? ;) I need to win a lottery ticket in order to buy that coin. I don't think any of them have been exported out of Russia so I think it's totally impossible. I'm sure an album like this would look like in a museum collection.

I'm out of time again so I'll try to update more album pictures on Wednesday or so :ninja:

... I've never seen any of the silver kopek dated 1931!
One of them is at web-auction right now - see http://www.venzel.su/auction/lots/2/7198.html?auc=46

I think the 1925 chervonets is unrealistic? :ninja: I need to win a lottery ticket in order to buy that coin. I don't think any of them have been exported out of Russia so I think it's totally impossible
I think even winning in lottery or being a Bill Gates won't help... There are just several known specimens all of which reside in Russian museums.

But who knows: there was a theory that maybe large quantities were minted actually 85 years ago but just not released; so maybe hunderds of thousands of them are still waiting to see the daylight in Russian Central Bank cellars ? ;)

Also I have one idea about arranging coins in your set.

For Russian / Soviet coins the obverse (face) is the side with (in following order) the portrait of ruler / state arms or emblem / state name (as СССР on 1/2 kopeck coin), the other side being reverse.

Therefore I'd suggest to turn 1924 rouble and poltinnik the other side, thus making all coins' arrangement uniform.

One-kuna, thanks for the advice.

The top portion of your table composition is fine 1921-1923 (besides some notes read at the bottom on 1923 chervonets).

Difficulties starts after.

You must change silver coins series from 1924-1930 to 1924-1931. Because you never seen them - it does not mean that they can be withdrew from your table you share with others.

It depends further how you plan to present 1924-1957 series: there are few different designs, give us an idea.

Chervonets 1923 with RSFSR Coat of Arm belong to the top section whcich is RSFSR 1921-1923.

Known also in 1925 but with USSR Coat of Arm must be moved to section 1924-1957 or so.

Novodels chervonets 1975-1982 must be in the following sections or back to RSFSR but indicated as NOVODELS*.

Do this first and see how it is going.

P.S. NOVODELS* The 1975-1982 chervonets were struck as an investment coins in former USSR, using the original dies (1923) but with the new date digits.

This is disputable, another reasoned opinion is that new dies were produced anew.

in russia everything is disputable by now, what was not so far is that the chervonets of 1923 were struck in 1924 too but with 1923 date, so do you think gxseries needs to change his presentation table since ??

Guys, thanks for your enthusiasm. I really appreciate it.

My overall objective of this album is to feature coins that did circulate. To make things simple, I am only going to do general circulated coins. It's a bit pointless to feature pattern coins as most people will not be able to obtain one nor will be able to see one in person for their whole life. Hence this is the reason why I dated the silver kopek from 1924-1930 as I thought the 1931 silver kopek are patterns and were never released for circulation. Turns out I was wrong.

I'm planning to break down the 1924-1957 era to the following by their crests:

1931-1934

1935-1936

1937-1946

1948-1956

I don't intend to include the 1958 coins as they generally never circulated. Besides they are almost impossible to obtain these days.

Candidate, I'll give your thought a go and see how it will look like.

Sorry - it's just that doing each page takes easily over 30 minutes and it can get quite tiring.

I would like to have one of the 1958 3 Ruble patterns just as a curiousity - but not part of my type set. GX you are a lot more disciplined and on focus with the type set than I am. I have only recently been starting to delve back into my Russian/Soviet coins.

My overall objective of this album is to feature coins that did circulate. To make things simple, I am only going to do general circulated coins. ...

I don't intend to include the 1958 coins as they generally never circulated. Besides they are almost impossible to obtain these days.

Chervonetz 1977 which you inserted in your album never circulated. Technically and formally it's even not a coin at all but just a round piece of metal - as the state to which it "belongs" (RSFSR) in 1975-1982 (period to which dates on these pieces belong) did not have own currency at all, and there was no Central Bank or Governent order (decree) published putting them in circulation at that time.

On the contrary, though 1958 coins were never released to circulation officially, but in reality they did circulate and many 1958 coins (especially, 10 kopecks) were found from circulation.

Candidate can you please kindly provide more information about the 1958 coins? Did coins of 1958 2, 3, 5 rubles ever circulate?

I think you can find lots of information about not released issue of 1958 even in the web

(for example, in Russian coins forums - as I noticed in your web-site you have contacts with Russian colleagues from coins.su

and lots of info is available at this forum).

But if you collect Soviet coins having a Fedorin catalogue is a must, imho.

In this book all 1958 coins are listed with detailed descriptions and commentary, including the information that

all denominations from 1 to 50 kopecks were found in circulation.

1,2,3 and 5 roubles coins of 1958 from circulation are unknown.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived