CoinPeople.com

Are 1922 Poltinnik are getting high in value?

tqc2002

There are 2 varieties of 1922 50 kopecks: with AG (АГ) or PL (ПЛ) mintmaster initials on the edge.

(ПЛ) in this condition is $10 or less.

A little bit scarcer (АГ) is around $15.

I know the 1921 Poltinnik has a much higher value than the 1922 - do you know why? Is it a low mintage issue? I regularly see them sell for $50+

ebay cannot be considered as the only place to determine the current prices :ninja:

I know the 1921 Poltinnik has a much higher value than the 1922 - do you know why? Is it a low mintage issue? I regularly see them sell for $50+

Really "sell"? Or just being offered?

It is not a low mintage and is almost as common as 1922(ПЛ).

In same condition it should also cost around $10-$15.

For $50 it should be perfect uncirculated; outstanding BU specimen may reach between $80-$100.

Of course there are people who like to pay for box (slab); I noted one 50-1921 sold for $300+ in MS64 slab... without slab this very coin would never sell above $100 or rather $70.

1922 Roubles are somewhat scarce.

1922 rubles used to be, currently, and will be in the future always rare (not scarce) :ninja:

1922 rubles used to be, currently, and will be in the future always rare (not scarce) :ninja:

See them on eBay once in a while, not abundant but not what I would call terribly rare. Got 1 myself. These days, I would call them terribly expensive though!

On that thought, I find that a lot of Soviet coins are terribly expensive! Much more, I think, than the Imperial coinage. I see the 1970 mint set on eBay, not too often, but somewhat regularly. Every time it sells for about $700! Some other key soviet coins come up and sell for very impressive amounts. Makes a lot of Imperial stuff look undervalued!

That's what I find the 1970 mint set mysterious or rather absurdly overpriced. I challenge you to find similar mintsets of 1971-1975 (soft package) - except 1973. I'm pretty sure the 1970 set appears somewhat more often than the others. Maybe mintset 1964 - 1966 as well.

there was a time when sets were not available at all in ussr until one day soviets opened the central bank vault (about 1987) and sets (1965-1978) began distributed around the country and it was relatively cheap at that time, bur russia is a big country and demand before and now is a large so here we go with all high prices and rare sets :ninja:

... the 1970 mint set mysterious or rather absurdly overpriced

I do not think that this set is "overpriced" (or that is "absurdly overpriced" more than any other of Russian/Soviet coins are recently).

The obvious reason for it's high price is that many of this year's (1970) circulation coins are pretty scarce:

5 kop. - 2nd rarest of series 1961-1991

15 kop. - rarest of series 1961-1991

20 kop. - 4th rarest of series 1961-1991

50 kop. - rarest of series 1961-1991.

The sum of just these 4 coins prices in UNC condition is around $650 or maybe even more.

There are stamp differences (varieties) between coins issued for circulation and those issued in mint sets,

but for many collectors who collect by year that doesn't matter.

And it's easier to purchase a full year set at once rather then search for each of these coins separately.

Even some collectors break these sets and take out coins to place in their collection.

I do not think that this set is "overpriced" (or that is "absurdly overpriced" more than any other of Russian/Soviet coins are recently).

The obvious reason for it's high price is that many of this year's (1970) circulation coins are pretty scarce:

5 kop. - 2nd rarest of series 1961-1991

15 kop. - rarest of series 1961-1991

20 kop. - 4th rarest of series 1961-1991

50 kop. - rarest of series 1961-1991.

The sum of just these 4 coins prices in UNC condition is around $650 or maybe even more.

There are stamp differences (varieties) between coins issued for circulation and those issued in mint sets,

but for many collectors who collect by year that doesn't matter.

And it's easier to purchase a full year set at once rather then search for each of these coins separately.

Even some collectors break these sets and take out coins to place in their collection.

I understand that. My comment is related to general prices on "key" Soviet coins. I do not keep track, but my general impression is that I see the 1970 sets sold frequently enough, not as frequently as 1974,75,76... but looks like there's enough of them out there. I think that popularity rather than rarity excites the market.

It's almost the same story as with 1917 10 and 15 kopeeks. I see them offered practically every week, but every time, they sell for $50 - $100+. At this level of supply, I would have thought that demand would be satisfied. And it does look like the prices have come down towards the lower range recently, but it still seems overpriced.

It's almost the same story as with 1917 10 and 15 kopeeks. I see them offered practically every week, but every time, they sell for $50 - $100+. At this level of supply, I would have thought that demand would be satisfied. And it does look like the prices have come down towards the lower range recently, but it still seems overpriced.

Yes ... and they are usually offered in UNC. Strange, but XF/AU specimens of these might actually be scarcer than the uncirculated ones!

Yes ... and they are usually offered in UNC. Strange, but XF/AU specimens of these might actually be scarcer than the uncirculated ones!

Not really strange. They did not have time to circulate :ninja:

I actually heard a story, on some forum, that sacks of these coins were found in some bank vaults in Mongolia!

Because I do not seriously collect Soviet coins (even though I have a few), I have no particularly strong opinion about the 1970 Soviet set, but do have an opinion about prices.

"Overpriced" and "underpriced" are relative concepts and today's "overpriced" coins sometimes have a habit of becoming tomorrow's "bargains".

I can think of more than a few coins that I did not buy in the past because I thought they were overpriced, for which I would gladly pay many times that "absurd" amount today (and consider myself fortunate to have the opportunity to do so).

Other collectors might have similar feelings, but perhaps I am mistaken.

Not really strange. They did not have time to circulate :ninja:

I actually heard a story, on some forum, that sacks of these coins were found in some bank vaults in Mongolia!

There is such a thing as a coin which is "too rare", too hard to find and which collectors give up trying to get, because they are "uncollectable".

And sometimes an increase in supply can actually result in higher prices because of an increase in demand.

An excellent example is the discovery of the "Randall hoard" of US large cents, which stimulated collector demand, leading to higher prices.

Because I do not seriously collect Soviet coins (even though I have a few), I have no particularly strong opinion about the 1970 Soviet set, but do have an opinion about prices.

"Overpriced" and "underpriced" are relative concepts and today's "overpriced" coins sometimes have a habit of becoming tomorrow's "bargains".

I can think of more than a few coins that I did not buy in the past because I thought they were overpriced, for which I would gladly pay many times that "absurd" amount today (and consider myself fortunate to have the opportunity to do so).

Other collectors might have similar feelings, but perhaps I am mistaken.

I agree that there is no such thing as absolute price. And perhaps in tomorrow's market conditions, this very set will average at $2000. But since I have hard time predicting what future holds, my lament with regard to $700 is anchored solely in the present. And in my mind, there are other things on my wish list that I would prefer to spend the $700 on. But than, I don't have much interest in the soviet period. And surely for people who have interest only in the Soviet period the 1970 set is a must have, perhaps at any price.

So everything is very relative, but for now $700 is still quite a lot of money, and I'm still shocked! :ninja:

I agree that there is no such thing as absolute price. And perhaps in tomorrow's market conditions, this very set will average at $2000. But since I have hard time predicting what future holds, my lament with regard to $700 is anchored solely in the present. And in my mind, there are other things on my wish list that I would prefer to spend the $700 on. But than, I don't have much interest in the soviet period. And surely for people who have interest only in the Soviet period the 1970 set is a must have, perhaps at any price.

So everything is very relative, but for now $700 is still quite a lot of money, and I'm still shocked! :ninja:

I agree, one can only judge by the moment and where one thinks things are headed in the future.

I have a USSR Bank for Foreign Trade obsolete 1957 coins set which I obtained many years ago. I don't remember what I paid for it, but it was very little, no more than $2 at the most, and I remember the dealer was happy to get even that much for it.

I was quite surprised a few years ago to see this same set bringing around $150 on ebay. I haven't looked recently, so don't know what it brings today, nor do I particularly care, because I have no plan to sell it.

Because I do not seriously collect Soviet coins, I have no particularly strong opinion about the 1970 Soviet set

early + soviet + coins + is + already + too + late + to + invest + unless + the + prices + will +go +up +and, +this +is one + of + the + reason +of +high + prices +on + it + without +over/under + pricing :ninja:

Archived