CoinPeople.com

What's your cut-off date?

Ætheling

I don't actually have a starting date, i've never bothered actually declaring one. I figure i'll just go further and further back, i do want some B.C coins one day but i've never taken the plunge into ancients yet. Don't know enough about them.

So far i've crept back as far as AD 899.

I still haven't owned one single Roman coin, although on occasions i've come close i've never taken the opportunity. One day i will.

So no cut off date as far as earliest goes.

However the latest i generally go to is 1799, this is more a generic date than anything else as my serious collections actually go to 1789 rather than 1799, but i wouldn't turn down a nice 1799 coin if it came my way.

Having said that though i do have several sets that are out of my time period on the go. The Nazi Germany set, the Washington quarters to name but a few but once these sets are complete i aim to drift back to 18th century or before.

As for the year 1800 whilst it is technically the final year of the 18th century it is also the first year of the 1800s and thus is currently being ignored.

The 16th, 19th and 21st centuries are the only centuries after AD 900 that i don't actively collect.

Is that upto 1901?

Ups, i meant 1901-date (that sentence was a combination of bad English and some hurry :ninja: )

A few years ago I had collection of older coins, specially England, Italy, France, Spain, Germany, Austria and The Netherlands, but i sold most of them.

Jose ;)

My main collection starts in 1793 and ends in 1909. That said, I have quite a few things outside those dates that fit the I like it catagory.

Guest Stujoe

I don't really have a 'starting' date. My main collection starts at 1900 but that is a personal choice and I will take any date that I like. For aesthetic reasons, I just don't like a lot of the stuff between the Ancient time frame and the latter 1700's.

I just don't like a lot of the stuff between the Ancient time frame and the latter 1700's.

I'm pretty much the same on that note, but I do have a few Pre-1800. That's usually my starting point (1800) and I have not come across and end point as of yet. As long as they keep making silver coins, there will probably not be and end date.

Exceptions always exist, but my cut-off is the end of the classical US Type, when the Mercury and Walking Liberty were dropped.

(Gold)

Walking Liberty Half

Standing Liberty Quarter

Mercury Dime

Buffalo Nickel

Indian Cent

(My starting point is the invention of coinage c. 625 BC and I have an example of that.)

I have come to realize that I have very similar taste in coins with Stujoe and T'bunny. I have no starting point (all is welcome), but I find my strongest interests beginning with the 19th century- mostly for simple aesthetic reasons: I prefer well rounded milled coins.

As to the cut-off date, I have none. However, with the exception of certain series that I collect that extend to the present, I find that my interests in many coins begins to teeter off following the immidiate post-WW II period ( say 1950).

Most of what I collect is in the 20th Century, with current sets extending to the 21st (gotta keep my Danscos and Whitmans full!), though I have many American coins in the 19th century going back to as far as 1806. I have a few other coins from as far back as 1587 for dated coins, and even further back if you count the Roman coins, but as I said, most of what I actively collect is 20th century American.

CaveTroll, you got a 1792? Wow, I could only dream. What is it a half cent? Or wasn't pattern's the only ones made? TIA:)

nope, I don't have a 1792, but it is still the starting cut off point for my collection. I dream about that half disme pattern, but the older colonial (and world) stuff just doesn't interest me now.

some day . . . eh, who am I kidding, there is no way my wife will ever consent to me spending that much money on "some old nickel." :ninja:;)

Archived