CoinPeople.com

Counterfeit canadian coins

ebro

Hi, I am returning to my coin collection after many years of letting the collection collect dust.

I have purchased a few coins from reputable dealers, and a few (lower value) from ebay.

I am curious ae to how bad the counterfeiting problemis for canadian coins. is there a problem with medium value coins such as a 1973 large bust quarter ? or a 1948 50 cent piece ?

(Of course I am not referring to MS-65 certified coins, but fine, or very fine versions of these coins)

Has anyone ever heard of counterfeits of medium value coins ?

Also, is there a future for us? As technologies improve, it seems that it will become easier and easier to replicate coins ?

Do those of you here, with more experience, believe that we will always be able to authenticate true coins ?

I am interested to see opinions.

Keep in mind, I don't collect primarily for value, I like collecting, and enjoy the thrill of tracking down an elusive missing coin. As I feel the hobby should be !

Eric

Hi Eric, welcome to CP. You'll find a good home here.

As for answers to your questions, I can't imagine there's a big push for mid-value Canadian coins by counterfeiters (I almost said "the Chinese"). But there will be a few floating around. Until you get into the high-value coins, I'd saw "trust" is your biggest tool against counterfeiting. Trust your dealers. Trust your own eyes and experience. If something just looks a little funny, even if you can't figure out why, then don't buy it!

Now, once you get to higher-value coins, then you'll have to learn the diagnostics of an authentic coin. Check out this article on the key diagnostics to the high-value and oft-counterfeited 1909-S VDB U.S. cent:

http://www.pcgs.com/articles/article_view....=313&type=1

Welcome again. We look forward to your posts!

The only fakes you'll see are Chinese made copies of silver coins. I've seen a fake 1963 50c, but it was cast from some generic white metal and could be easily spotted.

There are indeed fakes around of some super rare pieces like 1936 dot 1c, but generally speaking you're pretty safe since there isn't a large market for Canadian coins, and thus there isn't much of an incentive to create fakes.

Hi Eric, welcome to CP. You'll find a good home here.

As for answers to your questions, I can't imagine there's a big push for mid-value Canadian coins by counterfeiters (I almost said "the Chinese"). But there will be a few floating around. Until you get into the high-value coins, I'd saw "trust" is your biggest tool against counterfeiting. Trust your dealers. Trust your own eyes and experience. If something just looks a little funny, even if you can't figure out why, then don't buy it!

Now, once you get to higher-value coins, then you'll have to learn the diagnostics of an authentic coin. Check out this article on the key diagnostics to the high-value and oft-counterfeited 1909-S VDB U.S. cent:

http://www.pcgs.com/articles/article_view....=313&type=1

Welcome again. We look forward to your posts!

Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the information.

Why is that, because of the limited value of such a coin ?

Or is it not in great demand ?

A circulated (say VF) piece is probably worth about $70 retail, and is not exactly something for which there's a ready market.

Also, pure nickel is not readily available, and it is also a pretty tough metal to work in.

• 1 month later...

There are over 180 different counterfeit Canadian coins (including Newfoundland) that I have Held. Most are Chinese in origin but they come from all over. Please never let your guard down. Common dates are being made Daily!!! In MY OPINION any one who does not respect the potential chance of acquiring a counterfeit in Canadian Nusmismatics is making a grave error. I will provide assistance where I can. I have images of all I have been involved with. From 1850 token, up to 2004 twoonie. Regards The Gopher

Archived