CoinPeople.com

US "odd" Denomination Type Set

syzygy

With the addition of a twenty-cent piece from the Baltimore show yesterday, I completed this mini type set….nothing terribly special, but I like this little set.

US “Odd” Denomination Types

Half Cent

901248.jpg

Two Cents

900348.jpg

Three Cents Silver

901247.jpg

Three Cents Nickel

900429.jpg

Half Dime

901246.jpg

Twenty Cents

1875-S

901249.jpg

Nice! Very Nice! :ninja: Especially the Nickel III cents.

I wouldn't have thought of the half cent as particularly an odd denomination. The strangest US denomination of them all to me is the $2.5 coin... 2 1/2 is a weird number. (The UK was equally as bad having a 2 1/2 shilling coin).

How long did the set take you to complete?

Hey, I honestly like the denomination $2.50. If you can have a quarter out of a dollar, why not a quarter off from a 10 dollar bill? Wait that's odd... now why isn't there a 25 dollar bill :ninja:

Russia used to have some silly denominations like 1/8, 1/4, 2,3,4, 24, 30, 48, 75, 96 kopeks, 1.5, 3, 6, 12, 15, 37.5 ruble denomination. Now that's quite an impossible set to complete... ;)

Nevertheless, a very neat type set!!! ;)

Nice! Very Nice! ;) Especially the Nickel III cents.

How long did the set take you to complete?

Difficult to say how long it took because, to be honest, I was not working on it as a type set for very long. The 3CN was part of my original collection as a youth. The silver trime I got about 6 months ago (looks much better than that pic) - also liked them and the only example from my original collection was plugged. The 2CP, about a year ago..again, just because they are cool looking. The half dime is interesting because it taught me a lesson...I bought it from a dealer over a year ago. I inspected it and it was priced right, so I bought it. Closer inspection at home, however, showed that it is slightly bent (shame on me). I did, subsequently, remove that "dirty face" look with a small amount of Ezest. So, bottom line, I saw something similar advertised as a type set and thought...hey I only need the 20 cent piece :ninja:

Now, I have to think about getting a 2.5 Indian head in VF....excellent.

A fabulous set, especially 2 and nickel 3 cents :ninja: I've allways wanted to have such coins, but still never bought any in spite I would have had many chances to do so --> stupid me ;)

;)

That's a really nice set. One of the things I like about collecting is that you, the collector, can define your type set or collection to be anything that pleases you.

Great coins. I especially like the half cent.

If one can afford to put gold in an 'odd denomination' set, then the oddest denomination would be the $3 gold piece. 'Affordable?' Well, for $600 or so, you can get a lower grade $3. Not only is the denomination odd, so is its reason for issue being to ease the purchase of sheets of 100 3-cent stamps to be used for first class postage!

Just my thoughts on the subject...

Archived