CoinPeople.com

Grey sheet price for a Morgan?

UncleBobo

Can a coinperson with access to grey sheet pricing please tell me the going rates for an 1883 CC and 1884 CC Morgan dollar in MS-63?

I think it's someone in the $180's.

Can a coinperson with access to grey sheet pricing please tell me the going rates for an 1883 CC and 1884 CC Morgan dollar in MS-63?

I think it's someone in the $180's.

You're hitting at $175 for these on the CDN. But, remember that these are for coins on the dealer wholesale market (ie. these are averages a dealer will seek the coin from another dealer when it is needed for sale/inventory). So, depending on whether you are buying or selling to a dealer, the information is used differently. Many dealers will offer back of bid by about 10-20% when purchasing from a walk-in customer. So, you're looking at dealer offers around $140-155 on the average. They would most likely offer based on whether you have dealt with them before, are a current customer, how you dress, etc, etc. But, you should know this since you're a veteran collector.

I'm curious to know why you want the information. If you are thinking of selling to a dealer, but are in no hurry, I would suggest trying the secondary market first (collector-collector transactions) as you would likely get more for the coins (though not what a dealer selling retail would get). If buying on the secondary market, you should be able to pick the pieces up for around ASK which usually spreads 5-10% (currently $185 and 190, respectively for these coins). But it will take some foot work on your part on the secondary market to get one at this price. You should also be able to get one from a dealer at about 10-20% front of ASK without any problems (about $200-220) which would be the fastest way.

And VAMs with low rarity may carry a premium against you as well (as would PL and DMPL specimens).

Anyway, good luck in your endeavor.

Actually, I am looking to buy one and the prices I've seen quoted on Ebay and other places has varied so wildly I was wondering what the base was that dealers were using.

I was at a coin show this weekend and the piece I was interested in was a PCGS ms63 that the dealer was willing to let go for somewhere in the 180's but I just didn't have the cash on me to cover it.

Since I now know he was offering me pretty much the best deal I will probably see on that coin I will have no problem waiting till the next show in May to buy the darn thing.

I've wanted to add a CC to my collection for years so waiting two more months won't kill me.

Thanks for the info!

It also makes a difference if the coin is still in the original GSA holder or not. If it is, it should be worth more.

Bob is correct.

A raw coin is worth about $185.

In the original GSA holder add $25.

If the GSA holder has been certified by NGC add another $25.

Just my opinion but I love the Carson City Morgans and own an 82, 83, and 84.

Archived