CoinPeople.com

Isidore Konti "Home Medal"

4413116826_709ef53777_b.jpg

70 mm bronze medallion struck by the Medallic Art Co. in 1910 for the Circle of Friends of the Medallion.

One of only two of Konti's medallic works that are collectible without a great deal of difficulty. The low relief style is difficult to photograph well. De Kay described the medal as "somewhat of a rare and difficult thing, a medal of sentiment without sentimentality." Konti captures the concerns of the period with the break down of the family and the potential harmful impacts of women's suffrage. The obverse Latin inscription reads, Happiness of Home and Hearth, while the father hold a protective arm around mother while she tends to the children.

A very nice medal....but when I enlarged the pic I was struck that while the man's features are clearly defined, the wife's are most definitely not! Almost as if she exists just as an extension of her spouse-a nonperson-if they had been portrayed equally, I would see them as partners but I see the wife as just subservient.

A very nice medal....but when I enlarged the pic I was struck that while the man's features are clearly defined, the wife's are most definitely not! Almost as if she exists just as an extension of her spouse-a nonperson-if they had been portrayed equally, I would see them as partners but I see the wife as just subservient.

Good observation Constanius.

I love the reverse of this medal.

Archived