CoinPeople.com

1913 50 Kopeks

Rhino

After seeing some other recent auctions where 50k. 1900 was offered in UNC (Elmen, NGSA) and brought over $1000 and $2800 respectively, I really don't know what to think. :ninja:

UNC poltinas belong to a completely different game. There is no way to explain or predict an UNC winning bid. ;)

The auction posted on here earlier, for the 1913 50 Kopek EB ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320494999596 ) is done, and that coin sold for only $21 ;) wow. Did it not even get to $50 because of the spots on the obverse? Other than that, it looked neat.

You got a better deal. 1912 is as common as 1913 BC, and your coin looks better and you paid less! :ninja:

You got a better deal. 1912 is as common as 1913 BC, and your coin looks better and you paid less! :ninja:

;) Thanks for the help alex

This whole thread is making me want to attempt to get all the 50 Kopeks from Nicholas II's reign, but I know Bobh you have done it and it's very challenging (and expensive), so I will just pick and choose my years.

:ninja: Thanks for the help alex

This whole thread is making me want to attempt to get all the 50 Kopeks from Nicholas II's reign, but I know Bobh you have done it and it's very challenging (and expensive), so I will just pick and choose my years.

Except for the "impossible" years 1898 and 1903 which some references claim were proof-only issues, I now have all but 1904, 1906 (none were struck in 1905) and 1909. But some are not in better than F/VF, for example 1899, 1900, 1901-AR and 1902. Also I am missing 1899-FZ, I believe ... and except for 1899-*, my other two 1899 coins are in low grade. As with 1900, it seems very hard to find the SPB 1899 poltinas in higher grades, whereas 1899-* is fairly common in AU or even UNC.

It's a challenge, but fun!

I think a good (uncleaned) XF for this year may be worth around $100-150 but probably not $200-250. That should probably be an undisputed AU.

Poltinas 1900 in XF or higher condition are scarce (scarcer than, say, 1910, 1911 or 1914 marked by "R"in Bitkin catalogue). I'm afraid that it is hard to find one in good XF cheaper than $400-$500. So this sale of GBP 155 ($235) is not a real bargain, of course, but still a pretty fair deal, imho.

The auction posted on here earlier, for the 1913 50 Kopek EB ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320494999596 ) is done, and that coin sold for only $21 :ninja: wow. Did it not even get to $50 because of the spots on the obverse? Other than that, it looked neat.

As alexbq2 pointed out, it is actually 1912 (look at the images). And while there is a good deal of detail, it was harshly cleaned/dipped and has numerous little scratches and edge knocks, mostly on the reverse.

I wouldn't pay more than $12 for it.

Here are eBay winning bids for NGC and PCGS certified 1913 BC poltinas over the last few months:

AU50 $50.65

AU55 $51

AU58 $51

AU58 $26 :ninja:

AU58 $56

MS62 $127.50

MS62 $109.50

MS62 $134.01

MS63 $143.50

MS63 $140.50

MS63 $255.01

MS64 $338.33

I think a decent AU is quite affordable. If you do not like the slab, you can always break it (not that I suggest doing this ;) ).

Here are eBay winning bids for NGC and PCGS certified 1913 BC poltinas over the last few months:

AU50 $50.65

AU55 $51

AU58 $51

AU58 $26 :ninja:

AU58 $56

MS62 $127.50

MS62 $109.50

MS62 $134.01

MS63 $143.50

MS63 $140.50

MS63 $255.01

MS64 $338.33

I think a decent AU is quite affordable. If you do not like the slab, you can always break it (not that I suggest doing this ;) ).

Good to know the prices. I'll stick with my $15 coin ;) I was just trying to get a value on it so that I can label it and have it in my records.

Please assist, how much do you think this coin can cost in such condition per picture? Thanks!

a little corrected your question, hope it is OK with you;

at list $35 over there in Russia - just checked molotok :ninja:

• 2 months later...

This coin was just listed on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=230474680038

For those who are wondering, that is a 1913 EB. I just verified with the seller, he said it looks like "3b". I personally don't have any more money to spend this month on coins given some recent big coin purchases, but figured someone here may want to grab it.

:ninja:

• 7 months later...

I was looking at older threads of mine and noticed the photos I posted only 8 months ago of the 1913 50 Kopek... I thought it was interesting how you can see the coin tone, even in such a short period of time. Sorry if this is a "newb" observation, I was just surprised how little time it took for the coin to start changing (didn't even do anything to it, just sat in my album):

191350kopekFront.jpg

191350kopekBack.jpg

That's the same coin today.

Rhino, how did you store it?

Didn't do anything special at all, this is the coin's history ever since I got it:

It originally arrived in a visibly-old flip, and when I took it out there was even some dust/dirt or something that was stuck to the coin. But it was very bright and silver like the original photos showed. So after I took it out, I had it sit on a book shelf for a few weeks because at that point I had no album or flips or anything I could store my coins in. After that, I put it in a regular flip and stuck it in a regular album with plastic pages (the type where there's 20 coins per page). And it's been there ever since, until I recently noticed that it definitely golden-ed since the last time I saw it. The room where it was sitting on a bookshelf isn't special in any way, either, it's near a window that I never open, and sunlight exposure would have been minimal since the shleves are deep (and held other coins, none of which toned in this way).

No idea... just randomly toned, I guess. That's why I thought I'd share.

Archived