CoinPeople.com

To slab or Not to slab

numismatic nut

A coin shop finialy opened up in my town, and I made my first purchases today. I picked up a PL 1879-S morgan (reverse 3). After I bought the coin the dealer looked at it again, and said "You got Me on this one. It might grade a MS-64". He put it in a flilp as a CHBU.

Look at pic

Is this coin worth slabbing? I have no real set for it, I just bought it for display purposes. (I also have to show off display this coin to my friends)

Do you think this coin might be DMPL?

[REMOVED PIC]

Can't tell for sure from the pic. I don't think so though. I would expect to see the camera if dmpl. You should be able to see a reflection from ? inches away. Can't remember the number and I think its different between the top two. What does the obverse look like? BTW in dmpl there is a nice jump in price from 63-64-65.

Obverse is amazing. Love the contrast between the design and fields.

Reverse......looks like a normal plain ol' Morgan to me.

*shrugs* I'd give it a shot...

• 2 weeks later...

It would be between the two main ones pcgs and ngc. If you are going to slab really though you can't go wrong with either. If you are a ANA member you can get in to NGC free as a benefit. Still cost for the slab just no yearly fees.

There are members here that are probably members of NGC (I am) so you might be able to have one of them submit it for you as well if you are not an ANA member. Otherwise you can submit through a dealer to either. I have had experience with both services, and I am with NGC now as they have better customer service. Admittedly, PCGS coins often sell at a premium and I can't argue that, but as a customer, I'd prefer dealing with a company that values me, even if the coins may eventually trade at a discount.

Does anyone have experiance with NGC? Are they good/bad/ugly?

NGC and PCGS both charge about the same to certify a coin but NGC has great customer service (as Jtryka has already stated) and the new Edgeview holder lets in so much light that it's the next best thing to a raw coin.

PCGS has a new holder that they claim is the best thing since sliced bread but I'll stick with NGC. I have been a member for about 5 years.

In the end both companies though are excellent choices.

Archived