CoinPeople.com

Unknown medal - Nicholas II

Sir Sisu

I received this a couple of years ago from a Russian co-worker at a former job. She learned that I collect coins so she gave me a small amount and this was included.

The obvious details are that it has been mounted and the date inscribed is June 19, 1916. Unfortunately the mounting has obliterated some of the text which makes it even more difficult for me to decipher the medal with my already weak Russian language (non)skills. :ninja:

Any ideas on what this is?

russiamedal.jpg

If you actually have a ruble coin or any half ruble or 25 kopeck coin, I believe the text should be exactly the same, which roughly translates to "God Bless Nikolai II, the Emperor and the Arostract (not too sure of the spelling) of the whole of Russia"

If I am not mistaken, it should be a medal given to the soldiers involved in the First World War, although I am not too sure what for purpose would you get such a medal.

I can't see the images :ninja:

B.M. Nikolai II imperator i samoderzest vseross, D.G. Nicholas II emperor and autocrat of the whole Russia.

Now I can see everything, there was no message, only the red cross :ninja:

It is most likely a WWI medal, I can't imagine any other options. I have never seen one with date on the reverse, only ones with a text "for braveness" or something like that. Is it silver?

You know, that medal looks awfully similar to this one, except the reverse image, which is different to this one here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SILVER-COIN-MEDAL-DECO...1QQcmdZViewItem :ninja:

Cool, thanks! ;)

I believe it is indeed the same. Mine seems to have the text on the back removed and the date added in.

Archived