CoinPeople.com

Best place in Chicago to get quarters and pres. dollars?

Lithuania

Hi everyone,

I'll stay in Chicago for a few days and would like to bring home as many as possible US state quarters and presidential dollars. Do you know any places where I could buy these at a good price?

Thanks,

Sarunas

You might just try walking into any bank and asking them what they have. There are some banks that sell US mint packaged sets and at least some of the coins that you want will be available from a teller. Otherwise you'll probably have to stop at a coin shop.

Parking garages like the ones under Millennium Park.

Good luck and enjoy the greatest city in the world!

Okay, ya got some decent pizza there. And the Smith & Wollensky steakhouse for good steak. But greatest?

If you are interested the have some elongated coin spots.

I'm biased. It doesn't have the claustrophobic feel of NYC or the sprawl of LA and Mark's metropolis.

Get a stuffed pizza at giordano's!

I see there are several giordano's. I don't remember if it is the same place but we ate at a place in a basement, close to the Buckingham Fountain. Maybe a few blocks back and over if you get what I mean.

BTW Best description of Houston at nite I ever heard was Apocalyptic. :ninja: Most of down town is dead on the streets at nite.

You might check out the tourist deal at Navy Pier. They have a tall ship and fassssstttt boat (Seadog) you can ride on.

Pick 'em up at the bank. Even though nobody wants them, pretty much every bank gets regular shipments of Prez. dollars, and they are usually more than happy to get rid of them.

As for quarters, about 50% of all circulating quarters are state quarters by this point. You won't have any problems getting them. Try to find some territory quarters if you can!

And of course, don't forget to have fun! I've personally never been to Chicago, but I've always wanted to go.

To start with you might stop in at a place called the Marquett Inn on Madison Street in the downtown area. About 125 West Madison. No, not for coins but the bartenders are from your country. :ninja:

Depending on when your in Chicago and if you have transportation, there are 4 coin shows a Month just outside the main city. On the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Sundays of every Month starting with the 1st Sunday. Those are in suburbs called Lemont, Countryside, Itasca, Rolling Meadows in the same order as noted for the dates. In other words the Lamont show is on the 1st Sunday of the Month. The Country side coin show is usually about 80 to 100 dealers. At those coin shows you could probably purchase the entire series of State Quarters.

As to coin stores there are many in and outside the Chicago area. Best thing to do is go to Google and type in coin stores in Chicago. However, keep away from H.J. Berk on Clark Street. Way overpriced. Niles Coin Shop is one of the better ones but hard to find.

And as already noted almost any bank is flooded with those baby sized dollars. No one here wants them for spending so they just sit in banks.

While in Chicago here is something you may be interested in also. Inside the City the sales taxes on everything is the highest in the country. 10.25% of everything. Some of that is for the City, some for the County, some for the State. But all adds up to the highest in the country.

If you do get the chance to go to any of the coin shows you would notice that all are outside of Cook County. Thats the place where Chicago is and those taxes are real killers. Many people in those areas now drive outside to purchase items due to the highest taxes in the country. If your interested in Coin books for instance, a typical Red Book inside Chicago would be the full $14.95 for the Ringed Version plus the 10.25% sales tax. At the Itasca coin show that same book is $10 and no taxes at all.

Also, please note unless your rich, the downtown area is no place to eat at a restaurant either. Most places have prices that reflect the taxes they too have to pay so it's not high prices for great food, it's just high prices to pay for thier rent.

One last item. If your not familiar with the city, don't go out at night. Between the drive by shootings, muggings, etc. just no fun at night.

• 1 month later...

Thanks! Banks do have presidential dollars and yes about 50% of all of the circulating quarters are state quarters, which is cool :ninja: Chicago is really worth a visit. Would not say that's the greatest city in the world, but it does have some nice places, as for example Shedds aquarium!! Loved it..

Thanks! Banks do have presidential dollars and yes about 50% of all of the circulating quarters are state quarters, which is cool :ninja: Chicago is really worth a visit. Would not say that's the greatest city in the world, but it does have some nice places, as for example Shedds aquarium!! Loved it..

And while at the Aquarium, note a stones throw towards the lake is the Planatarium. And both are right next to the Museum. Naturally all charge a lot to get in.

Back to coins. If your in the downtown area of Chicago, just walk down LaSalle Street and you'll run into numerous banks. Most are really big and carry anything and everything in coins, usually.

If you can find it, there is almost a separate city under the downtown area. Basically it's what is called the PedWay since it was intended for a Passengers Walkway. Starts in the Illinois State Building and runs to State Street and is full of stores and bars and other places. No Coin stores down there though.

Archived