CoinPeople.com

Novodel

netFish

Nothing. It was taken off the auction. The only coin they didn't sell this time round... I was almost considering selling one of my copies with them (must admit that I have few). LOL. Although, I am glad to see they had enough sense to remove it... ;)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally like novodels. I have more than a few in my collection, and will add more if I see something I like at a reasonable price. Some people say, that these are not coins, and that there is no numismatic value to them. Well, yes and no. For instance, there is at least 1 coin I can name offhand -- silver 2 rubles of Peter I that only exists in a form of a novodel struck with the original dies. Thus, the only information about that coin can be obtained from that novodel striking. Additionally, there are coins that can only be found as novodel strikings, because the originals are in museums only. One example would be an 1810 spb kopek. I would like to buy at least a novodel in that instance... But, I will not force my humble opinion on anyone. If you have a novodel and hate it, I will take it off your hands... :bthumbsup:

I like Russian Novodels (Official Restrikes of Very Rare coins in MS/UNC by the mints in very limited numbers), but don't like copies / fakes / replicas etc and particularly when they are not marked as such...

I know a few guys that like novodels, and do not know anybody who admitedly like copies / fakes / replicas etc... Thus, you are not alone in this world :bgreen:

• 1 month later...

Hi Guy's, Haven't been around in a while and checked in and saw some additional posts regarding Novodels.

I still have mine and still in love with them :yes:

I also have a new updated Russian wallpaper, displaying the coin collection......hope you like it.

CAFRussionCollection_zps36bb301e.jpg

Love the wallpaper.

• 8 years later...

Here is one reason "novodels" were offically produced by some of the Russian mints: Collectors wanted to complete their collections but some coins that were produced for circulation were very scarce, difficult & sometimes next to impossible to obtain, so the mint struck more to satisfiy this collector demand. There are ways to distinguish between novodels & circulation strikes, sometimes it's edge differences. There are other differences as well, all of which I am not aware. While novodels are not as valuable as the original circulation strikes, they can still be scarce & have significant value. A good example is an original circulation strike of a particular coin may have a retail value of $3500.00 in EF it's novodel equivilent would typically have a valuation of $150.00 to $200.00. I'm no expert on novodels, but I know enough to say that if you choose to invest in them you should do your research. Another thing just came to mind some novodels had their raised charateristics strenghtened & refined & looked better than the original circulation strikes. Some liken them to a type of proof coinage. I own a few, which I  bought at what I considered favoralble prices but wouldn't buy any more until I did my research more throughly. Thanks for letting me share.

I just went & looked at some novodels on ebay. I couldn't believe how high the prices were. In the thousands. That sounds crazy to me. As far as I'm concerned if I'm going to spend 2,3,4 thousand dollars I'm going to buy the original coins struck for commerce... but to each there own. If they are that scarce & their demand is that high then it's the market that is creating that price. Of course these were only asking prices, they may never sell at those prices. This could be some over zealous sellers who are very proud of their coins. There were others for much lower prices. The 1's I purchased only cost me something like $25 to $75 each. Some novodels are over 100 years old & that has to be considered, but their dates aren't usually the dates the coins were struck... if ever.  I couldn't ever see my self paying that much for them.

Hello Coinbyur,

Thank you for your post. Just a couple of notes. Most Novodels of the Imperial Russian coins should at this point be over 100 years old. There is/was a dishonest tendency to equivocate or extend the term Novodel with privately minted forgeries or souvenir replicas that were and are produced since the late 20th century. The official minting of Novodels by the imperial mints was more or less ended in 1890 due to the lobbying by Grand Duke Georgii Michailovich. Some Novodels were minted later for use in industrial exhibitions and in the 1920s buy the new Soviet government for sale abroad. But the practice of the mints accepting private orders from collectors/dealers ended in 1890 AFAIK.

Many collectors express the same opinion as you preferring not to collect Novodels, but due to their scarcity and normally great condition and superior quality of the strike = great eye appeal, Novodels continue to bring in very high prices at auctions.

I for one view the original Novodels in the same line as the contemporary mint sets, they aren't meant for circulation although resemble real coins, and are made to satisfy the collectors market. That's just my opinion.