CoinPeople.com

Russian coins - dealers in Vienna?

bobh

I'm planning a short trip to Vienna this summer ... anyone able to recommend some well-stocked dealers, especially in USA or Russian coins?

Thanks! :ninja:

I only know of long time auction house HD Rauch in Vienna www.hdrauch.com. They will likely have a shop.

I wouldn't bother with Fruehwald (Salzburg). Given their latest offerings I don't think they know much about Russian coins.

http://www.auktionen-fruehwald.com/product...products_id=808

Steve

I use iapn-coins.org to look for reputable dealers.

Not a good advice. IAPN has only one member in Austria and total just 114 members, many of them are auction houses and therefore often have no coin store and do not sell anything at fixed prices. Thousands, may be tens of thousands of good dealers are not members of IAPN. Search local listings instead.

WCO

I believe, bobh asked about reputable dealer if someone knows one, not about to search a local listing :ninja:

Bobh, you should do your own due diligence. Find local dealers, research them, look at their web sites, call them, find out how long they are in business, what kind of coins they sell, what they currently have for sale, etc. Then you will decide who you want to visit.

WCO

• 2 weeks later...

I lived in Vienna for about half a year and I looked all over the city and the surrounding areas and found around 6-8 good coin shops. I managed to pick up a few russian coins, but the problem is that they have russian coins but the prices on them are quite high.

The best time I found was during the winter market place were they had an antique market and I must have picked up a hand full of of russian coins from the 1700-1800 century for very reasonable prices. There might be a summer market but I'm not sure.

most of the dealers are located right in the center of the city near stephansplatz church, if you walk around there are about 4/5 dealers in a 3 mile radius, also on the red line (karlsplatz) subway near the center there is a coin shop in the underground.

Also you should pay a visit to the museum, they have a really nice coin cabinet that has a wide collection.

I lived in Vienna for about half a year and I looked all over the city and the surrounding areas and found around 6-8 good coin shops. I managed to pick up a few russian coins, but the problem is that they have russian coins but the prices on them are quite high.

The best time I found was during the winter market place were they had an antique market and I must have picked up a hand full of of russian coins from the 1700-1800 century for very reasonable prices. There might be a summer market but I'm not sure.

most of the dealers are located right in the center of the city near stephansplatz church, if you walk around there are about 4/5 dealers in a 3 mile radius, also on the red line (karlsplatz) subway near the center there is a coin shop in the underground.

Also you should pay a visit to the museum, they have a really nice coin cabinet that has a wide collection.

Thank you! :ninja:

Archived