CoinPeople.com

Is this 1766/5CM 5 kopek an overstrike?

sigistenz

In a recent email correspondence, our friend "Eagle Eyes" gxseries offered to check this coin.

He had examined quite a few of the CM 5 kopeks a while ago finding that all of them were overstruck.

This coin does not show visible traces of an eventual 10kop1762 (at least to my eyes).

The edge however seems to have been executed twice.

Please, Hisa, let us know what you think. :ninja: Thanks, Sigi

(P.S.)This is a 900dpi scan. Save on your desktop, open to full splendor with photoshop or similar

5kop1766smover5.jpg

In a recent email correspondence, our friend "Eagle Eyes" gxseries offered to check this coin.

He had examined quite a few of the CM 5 kopeks a while ago finding that all of them were overstruck.

This coin does not show visible traces of an eventual 10kop1762 (at least to my eyes).

The edge however seems to have been executed twice.

Please, Hisa, let us know what you think. ;) Thanks, Sigi

(P.S.)This is a 900dpi scan. Save on your desktop, open to full splendor with photoshop or similar

Very nice, Sigi! :ninja:

I see something above the right curl of the scroll which might be part of a trumpet ... over the date at "17" there appears to be something that might have been lettering (at approx. 45 degree angle). Maybe one should look at those areas first.

And yes, the edge appears to have "something" underneath the netting ... but it looks a bit strange because the underlines are so thin, and they appear to be outdented (i.e. the opposite of "incuse").

There are some interesting little figures, perhaps feathers/coat of arms details? going on at the lower half of the second "I" in the monogram, and also in the field between the digits "17" and the first "I".

Really nice blowup image, by the way, Sigi. Is that a scanner or a camera?

:ninja:

Pretty old scanner 1200x2400 - glass scratched at places. Pictures are 900dpi. I am sorry but I do not see a thing of an underlying coin.

Josh - you are the first to judge - please check my website in construction - hit the link http://sigistenz.si.funpic.de/

Thank you, Sigi

When I stare at it for a while I start seeing some elements of the undercoin, but if I look away and look back I can't find 'em anymore. And then I look at my area carpet and I start seeing elements of the 1724 frame kopeek! ;)

Nice coin though :ninja:

This is deja vu all over again ;) We've been through this before with other CM's, and I couldn't see anything last time beyond the tip of a spear.

I've yet to see any convincing evidence of any CM overstrike after 1763, but would certainly still like to.

I'll stare at this one some more I guess. ;)

Steve

Archived