CoinPeople.com

Light Weight Kopeek

alexbq2

Here's something mildly curious. When I got this 1790 1 kopeek, I immediately noticed that it looked rather thin. When I weighed the coin, it turned out to be only 6.4 grams (instead of 10.2). As per Dr. Uzdenikov's explanation, this coin must have been struck on a flan cut out of Denga thickness rolled sheet.

1kop1790.th.jpg

denga's weight should be 5,12;

just curious, what is the diameter of your kopek?

Here's something mildly curious. When I got this 1790 1 kopeek, I immediately noticed that it looked rather thin. When I weighed the coin, it turned out to be only 6.4 grams (instead of 10.2). As per Dr. Uzdenikov's explanation, this coin must have been struck on a flan cut out of Denga thickness rolled sheet.

1kop1790.th.jpg

Great find! :ninja:

Is the explanation by Uzdenikov written in "Monety Rossii" or somewhere else (JRNS perhaps)?

Perhaps JRNS published the translated article, I do not know. I'm not sure it is in the catalog. I have it in a book that has a collection of his articles. As I recall the title is something like - Russian Coins of 18th-19th Centuries.

I'm referring to an article that I think we discussed here in the past. In it he shows a few odd weighing coins - both too heavy and too light, and goes on to explain that this is not by mistake but is due to copper coins being accepted 'en mass', and their combined weight is what mattered. So these odd weighing coins were made for the purpose of balancing out combined error introduced by smaller deviations from remedium in regular coinage being weighed.

Perhaps JRNS published the translated article, I do not know. I'm not sure it is in the catalog. I have it in a book that has a collection of his articles. As I recall the title is something like - Russian Coins of 18th-19th Centuries.

I'm referring to an article that I think we discussed here in the past. In it he shows a few odd weighing coins - both too heavy and too light, and goes on to explain that this is not by mistake but is due to copper coins being accepted 'en mass', and there combined weight is what mattered. So these odd weighing coins were made for the purpose of balancing out combined error introduced by smaller deviations from remedium in regular coinage being weighed.

Translated articles in the JRNS that I know of are listed here:

http://www.russiannumismaticsociety.org/AuthorUzdenikov.html

I don't see the article in question, though it's possible I missed one (or more) when I made the list.

Best,

Steve

Translated articles in the JRNS that I know of are listed here:

http://www.russiannumismaticsociety.org/AuthorUzdenikov.html

I don't see the article in question, though it's possible I missed one (or more) when I made the list.

Perhaps it is in the 1997 Brekke/Bakken supplement -- "Off-weight Russian Copper Coins"? :ninja:

• 2 months later...

Archived