CoinPeople.com

Japan 20 sen (1872)

bifrost

I have recently bought on an auction a japanese 20 sen banknote (P2 in WPM). It was an impulse buy as the auction was ending in just a half hour. I have tried to search ebay and other sites but was unable to find any price estimates or market prices for this banknote. It is in condition VG, and I have yet to recieve it, so I can not post any photos.

If I could get a price estimate for G, VG and F grades would be fine. I do not trust WPM prices. Also is this a difficult banknote to find?

And finaly I guess there is a number to find with the date of the emperor years in power, so I can identify the banknote emission date exactly, but where? I can read chinese characters so when I know where to look it should be easy.

There is one in F+ condition on sale for $150

http://banknotesoftheworld.com/index_J-L.htm

The note has no date. But it says issued during the reign of Meiji (1868-1912).

However, the issuing date is well documented as the first Japanese notes under gold standard act.

http://www.imes.boj.or.jp/cm/english_htmls...ture_gra2-8.htm

• 1 month later...
I have recently bought on an auction a japanese 20 sen banknote (P2 in WPM). It was an impulse buy as the auction was ending in just a half hour. I have tried to search ebay and other sites but was unable to find any price estimates or market prices for this banknote. It is in condition VG, and I have yet to recieve it, so I can not post any photos.

If I could get a price estimate for G, VG and F grades would be fine. I do not trust WPM prices. Also is this a difficult banknote to find?

And finaly I guess there is a number to find with the date of the emperor years in power, so I can identify the banknote emission date exactly, but where? I can read chinese characters so when I know where to look it should be easy.

I can help you with that, I am currently stationed in Japan with the military and specialize in Japanese notes. Over here we use the 'Catalog of Japanese Coins and Banknotes' and prices do vary from the WPM. Below are the Japanese standards:

1872 20 sen (P2) prices are: Good $80, Fine $150, XF $230

For a market price, I would myself be willing to buy this pick (VG) for $120. Hope this helps

Archived