CoinPeople.com

Ugly Pidcock's Farthing

hiho

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Here's another "ugly" Pidcock's token that I absolutely love, harshly cleaned with a cracked planchet, and quite rare...

446-comp.jpg

NGC refuses to certify it. "NOT SUITABLE" they claim. :angry:

Here's another "ugly" Pidcock's token that I absolutely love, harshly cleaned with a cracked planchet, and quite rare...

446-comp.jpg

NGC refuses to certify it. "NOT SUITABLE" they claim. :angry:

That's a great piece. I'd love to have it in my collection.

Pity... I think at some point a coin retains its value despite its condition. This is one of those cases.

I agree, although I continue to break things out of the plastic. This is an historic piece that has the distinction of being one of few British pieces that has an image of Louis XVI (or at least the engraver's idea of him). There's no way of telling without research whether this was pre or post-execution. The crack could easily be as-struck although it does look like someone tried to put a pick through poor Louie's forehead! In all a token with history. And some twit at NGC decides "not suitable". Sigh... I hate plastic (did I already say that?).

• 3 weeks later...

Despite what fortune has thrown at that poor token it is still beautiful.

I agree completely.

I just want to add it to my NGC Pidcock's Registry Set for the world to see, and I will certainly be petitioning NGC to reconsider.

The squeaky wheel...well, you know the rest! :grin:

This is an historic piece that has the distinction of being one of few British pieces that has an image of Louis XVI (or at least the engraver's idea of him). There's no way of telling without research whether this was pre or post-execution...

Dalton & Hamer gives this an R rating and I have been told it's probably closer to RR. I will probably never find another at the price I paid and I'll be keeping this no matter what NGC says or does.

Archived