CoinPeople.com

Coin rotation due to minting error

numhysteria

Hello,

I've got this coin that has a 180 degree rotation (obverse/reverse).

The problem is that all known coins of this type do not have this rotation.This is the only one of this kind.

My question is whether this rotation can be the result of a minting error or not? I don't really know what this is-error, pattern or extemely rare circulation coin never seen before :ninja:

Thanks

It's a Romanian coin, if you look at the picture you can see that one side is 180 degrees opposed to the other side.

All coins of this kind I've seen so far don't have this rotation, both sides are facing up.

What do you think?Could this be a result of an error in the minting process? I have doubts about that. I'd rather go for pattern or extremely rare circulation coin.

clipboard_904.jpg

Yes, exactly. All this coins are supposed to have medal orientation like the one you mentioned, but this one in the slab has not. It's has coin rotation like you can see in the picture.

Whoops, there I go thinking backwards. :ninja:

Some answer ? And yes is in an NGC slab but it is not the first mistake they make ... I've seen even PCGS slab with errors :ninja:

True no company is 100% perfect. However, if it truely is a Mint Error and in an NGC slab, it should be noted as such. If they errored in thier product, they should correct that mistake free and therefore making the value much more.

Mint error..less likely I'd say. More like a pattern or rare variety. Question was whether a medal-oriented coin could result in a coin-oriented one , due to a mint error? Could the perfect 180 degree rotation ,unusual for this medal-type coin, be a result of a mint error? I don't think so but I thought I'd see what you think.

• 2 weeks later...

The thing to note though is rotated reverses on any coins are just nothing as far as error coins. They are really common amonst certain coins. Even 180 degree rotations are not really drawing a premium at a coin show. Possibly on ebay, but not many other places. Might be why NGC said nothing.

Archived