CoinPeople.com

what is this ? Coin ? Tolking?

netFish

thank you ! you saved me money for real deal ;)

just curious, what is the name of real token? dos it have a name, i mean that one which cost thousands ?

the name is BEARD TOKEN, and got to be a genuine piece, too many fakes exist, as yours shown :ninja:

The Smithsonian collection also includes beard tokens of 1705, issued at the time when Peter had ordered the boyars (Russian nobility) and commoners to shave their traditional beards as part of his program to modernize Russia. If they wished to keep their beards, they had to pay a tax. For nobility and merchants, the tax could be as high as 100 rubles annually; for commoners it was much lower — as little as 1 kopek. Those paying the tax were given a token, silver for nobility and copper for commoners. Tokens have different inscriptions, some stating that “the beard tax has been taken” and others that “the money has been taken.” The tax was strongly opposed by the Russian Orthodox Church and led to several citizen revolts.

The above is taken from an article, which can be read here, and is a good quick explanation of the purpose of these beard tokens......

http://www.america.gov/st/eur-english/2009...S0.5918848.html

The Smithsonian collection also includes beard tokens of 1705, issued at the time when Peter had ordered the boyars (Russian nobility) and commoners to shave their traditional beards as part of his program to modernize Russia. If they wished to keep their beards, they had to pay a tax. For nobility and merchants, the tax could be as high as 100 rubles annually; for commoners it was much lower — as little as 1 kopek. Those paying the tax were given a token, silver for nobility and copper for commoners. Tokens have different inscriptions, some stating that “the beard tax has been taken” and others that “the money has been taken.” The tax was strongly opposed by the Russian Orthodox Church and led to several citizen revolts.

The above is taken from an article, which can be read here, and is a good quick explanation of the purpose of these beard tokens......

http://www.america.gov/st/eur-english/2009...S0.5918848.html

Thank you, it was very helpful

By the way - I looked through your other items and noticed your stamped Nazi currency, with the seal that has the Star of David in it.

Where did you get that? As far as I know the Nazis did not stamp their currency, that the notes that carry stamps like that and stamps with runes and SS marks are all stamps that were added a long time after the war to get people's interest and sell the notes at a higher cost than what they are actually worth.... Your Buchenwald notes have a similar stamp that I believe is not original.

You said in your ads "100% original" are you sure about that? Or are you just referring to the note itself, and not the stamps?

IN FACT, HERE IS THE LINK TO THE THREAD DISCUSSING THOSE STAMPS: http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=25612&hl=

Personally, I think selling banknotes with fake Star of David seals is disgraceful. I know that "bashing" is not something we do on this forum, but I have a VERY serious moral opposition to this. I have sold banknotes from Nazi Germany in the past, too, but never did try to pass them off as cheap memorabilia from millions of dead people, only as a reminder of a psychotic government that existed 80 years ago.

just to be correct - i am not a seller, i just found it on ebay

i thought it may be interesting for other members of forum to find out about price of that token. i am not pro in numismatics that is why i am looking for advise and expertise here. I buyer on ebay, not seller.

just to be correct - i am not a seller, i just found it on ebay

i thought it may be interesting for other members of forum to find out about price of that token. i am not pro in numismatics that is why i am looking for advise and expertise here. I buyer on ebay, not seller.

Then no problem, that post wasn't directed at you. I assumed you were advertising the ad because it was yours.

I'll be contacting that seller then about his banknotes.

Good that you asked about that token, Netfish, before bidding :ninja: Best of luck to you.

i was not advertising that. If i would see that it is real, i would bid on it by myself - why do i need more competition :ninja: ? ;)

I thought you might have been wondering about the authenticity of your own item. Some sellers might do that if they get questions from buyers questioning the authenticity.

Personally, I think selling banknotes with fake Star of David seals is disgraceful. I know that "bashing" is not something we do on this forum, but I have a VERY serious moral opposition to this. I have sold banknotes from Nazi Germany in the past, too, but never did try to pass them off as cheap memorabilia from millions of dead people, only as a reminder of a psychotic government that existed 80 years ago.

And here I thought you were probably selling those Nazi banknotes to make a profit off Nazi memorabilia...it makes it far less offensive to sell Nazi stuff when you are doing it as a public service...'ONLY as a reminder of a psychotic government that existed 80 years ago.' :ninja:

So what are you objecting to? Selling the notes from concentration camps? or the fake stamp? His write-up that obviously must mention the horrid event because of the relation? Obviously you have no problem making money off selling Nazi memorabilia...What if he said in the write-up...I am selling these 'only as a reminder of a psychotic government that existed 80 years ago, a reminder of the worst case of inhumanity, never forget!' would that have been better.

And here I thought you were probably selling those Nazi banknotes to make a profit off Nazi memorabilia...it makes it far less offensive to sell Nazi stuff when you are doing it as a public service...'ONLY as a reminder of a psychotic government that existed 80 years ago.' :ninja:

So what are you objecting to? Selling the notes from concentration camps? or the fake stamp? His write-up that obviously must mention the horrid event because of the relation? Obviously you have no problem making money off selling Nazi memorabilia...What if he said in the write-up...I am selling these 'only as a reminder of a psychotic government that existed 80 years ago, a reminder of the worst case of inhumanity, never forget!' would that have been better.

What I'm saying is that there's a big difference between selling notes from that period as is, and selling modified notes and pretending they came from ghettos and concentration camps and trying to pass them off as real ones. I think that's a fair claim.

Archived