CoinPeople.com

Does anyone have any idea what this is?

Mat25

Can anyone tell me what this is, it was found by my grandad while doing some gardening over 50 years ago in Welwyn garden city. I am assuming that it is Roman, it is quite large and is also nearly 1cm thick, it looks like it is made from stone, but it is quite light and has these 2 holes going all the way through the coin.

anyone seen one before or know anything about it? I would love to know what it is.

ancient1.jpg

ancient2.jpg

Looks like finger prints on the edge. It may be fired clay. At first I was thinking some kind of seal what had string going through it and the string rotted away. But I'm wondering if it is some kind of deal made for a drawstring on clothing or a purse?

It imitates the Syracusan tetradrachms from the 4th century BC, if it is fired clay, someone did a nice job.

They may have pressed a real coin in clay, fired it then had a negative. Does sound like it might be coin purse drawstring.

My own best guess was that it had been produced from a mould of a syracusan tetradrachm and the holes made me think it may be some kind of seal, I just havn't seen one before and the British museum did not know what it was either which is very unusual, they had a couple of guesses along the lines of what has been suggested here but they couldn't say for sure. It was found just next to a Roman siler brooch, it is certainly a puzzler!

Archived