CoinPeople.com

4 Pence Question

Art Salmons

I'm putting together a type set of Great Britain coins and it seems that there are just no 4 pence coins for sale on Ebay except the 1848 type coins. Is it just me or have others found this to. Are there other good sources for these coins or are they just plain nearly impossible to get. I'm wondering if I should drop them from the set other then the nice 1848 that I already have. :ninja:

Thanks

The Britannia type 4d are the only ones issued for circulation. They were issued from 1836-37 (William IV) and 1838-55 (Victoria). The ones with the "4" are from maundy sets, and thus infrequently encountered, especially modern ones, as they tend to be sold as part of complete maundy sets rather than as individual pieces.

The ones with the "4" are from maundy sets, and thus infrequently encountered, especially modern ones, as they tend to be sold as part of complete maundy sets rather than as individual pieces.

I'd say that it is easier to acquire a single piece than it would be a set because they are very rarely found as complete sets. There are plenty to be found from the 17th and 18th centuries, good luck in finding the ones you want.

Great 4d. I don't have anything even close to that old. Early 1900's I think on mine. I'll have to look later and update this post.

I'd say that it is easier to acquire a single piece than it would be a set because they are very rarely found as complete sets. There are plenty to be found from the 17th and 18th centuries, good luck in finding the ones you want.

Interesting. In my part of the world, probably 80-85% of the maundy coins available are sold only as part of a set. Oddest one I've seen was a 1760s set where the coins ranged from VG to EF.

YeOldeCollector

That is one awesome coin and anybody would be proud to own it. I have gone that far back looking so maybe I should start as I'm only looking from about 1790 to 1970.

:ninja:

In my opinion the earlier stuff is better. True that from 1790 onwards British coins started to look more modern and have more varied and artistic designs (as opposed to the simplicity of the cruciform shield designs that ran from 1662-1787), but the obverse designs are of a much higher quality on the earlier coins. The reverses may be very low relief and simple but that was so the obverse could be the focal point, very detailed, decent amount of relief, quaint but addictive.

• 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...

One of my favorite British coins is my 4 pence I picked up about 2 years ago. :D

1868_Great_Britain_4D_Maundy_PCGS_MS65_c

That's gorgeous :drool:

I agree. Wonderful coin.

• 2 weeks later...