CoinPeople.com

Is this a Rare Coin?

Chrissybe

Hi All - been given a few coins to sell for my son-inlaw which he inherited from his father, just need some help please, his father has named a few and put some as scarce, but I have no clue as to thier value (if any) any help would be appriciated

The 1st one is 1 Franc (appologies for the photo's in advance) he has it as scarce

1861sf2.jpg

1861sf.jpg

Hi All - been given a few coins to sell for my son-inlaw which he inherited from his father, just need some help please, his father has named a few and put some as scarce, but I have no clue as to thier value (if any) any help would be appriciated

The 1st one is 1 Franc (appologies for the photo's in advance) he has it as scarce

2nd 1852 50 cent

1852f.jpg

The first coin is Swiss. All I can comment on is the second, which is French, a one-year type of Louis-Napoléon Bonaparte before he became Napoléon III and the Second Republic became the Second Empire. Gadoury lists rather higher prices for this one-year 50 centimes piece than others of similar mintages in other series: although the mintage is a rather high 1,010,267, the coin's price almost 30 years ago (my Gadoury is a 1981 edition) was about $100 in très bon (fine) and about $200 in très très bon (XF or UNC). Your coin looks certainly Fine, maybe XF .. maybe $100-150 or so. But check eBay to see if you can find any examples of what it really is selling for today.

(Later edit: Here's a page from cgb.fr showing 95 euros for this coin in about the same condition: Link

As for the Swiss franc, it cats at $20 in Fine as per Krause '95.

The allegory is rather weak, and probably grades VG through the wreath side grades better.

I'm assuming that values haven't changed too much (perhaps up a bit), so $20-25 is probably a fair retail value for your VG/F piece.

As for the Swiss franc, it cats at $20 in Fine as per Krause '95.

The allegory is rather weak, and probably grades VG through the wreath side grades better.

I'm assuming that values haven't changed too much (perhaps up a bit), so $20-25 is probably a fair retail value for your VG/F piece.

Cheers Guys, appriciated

The first coin is Swiss. All I can comment on is the second, which is French, a one-year type of Louis-Napoléon Bonaparte before he became Napoléon III and the Second Republic became the Second Empire. Gadoury lists rather higher prices for this one-year 50 centimes piece than others of similar mintages in other series: although the mintage is a rather high 1,010,267, the coin's price almost 30 years ago (my Gadoury is a 1981 edition) was about $100 in très bon (fine) and about $200 in très très bon (XF or UNC). Your coin looks certainly Fine, maybe XF .. maybe $100-150 or so. But check eBay to see if you can find any examples of what it really is selling for today.

(Later edit: Here's a page from cgb.fr showing 95 euros for this coin in about the same condition: Link

Many Thanks, I had added it to e-bay - 260546845689, at a starting bid of £50 as it's to riase funds for my 1st grandchild :ninja:

Archived