CoinPeople.com

What do you think?

Chrissybe

As will the £5 shipping to UK buyers ;)

Its surprising how many bidders will be put off bidding, simply because of the postage costs.

It costs £5 to send a special delivery next day in the Uk - as I sent a coin to Glasgow a few months back and that is what it cost just for the postage :ninja: I have put the postage down as far as I can and also a reduction if someone buys something else and a promise to refund if the cost is less, that's all I can do so we will just have to see if anyone bids!

It costs £5 to send a special delivery next day in the Uk - as I sent a coin to Glasgow a few months back and that is what it cost just for the postage :ninja: I have put the postage down as far as I can and also a reduction if someone buys something else and a promise to refund if the cost is less, that's all I can do so we will just have to see if anyone bids!

I think this is all well-intended advice. I really do agree that a large postage absolutely puts buyers off. The cheaper coins really don't need to be sent signed-for.

I always ship normal postage ($2-$3) and point out it's at the buyers risk. If the buyer wants expensive services liked "signed-for" they will usually ask.

Number of coins I've bought and sold over the years on eBay...more than 400. Number that have ever been lost in the mail, domestic or international...0. I'm sure others can tell stories of lost coins, but honestly most buyers will take the risk.

Anyway, it's really up to you how you sell your coins...this is just my humble advice.

Best,

Steve

I post all my sales recorded del within the UK, costs £1.50 or so.

For high value stuff I agree though, it's better to send next day insured, but when my coins sell for this much the buyer gets the recorded delivery upgraded to next-day free of charge - I take it out of my profits, after all it's in my interests, a) to make sure I get plenty of bids by not overcharging post and b ) to try to make sure I'm not subject to a paypal chargeback from a fraudulent buyer - though even if you sent it next day super dooper post they still get their money back.

1895 rouble is a rare coin. It is not in a great condition, but for collectors of Nochilas II roubles by date it is a great opportunity to plug a hole (in the collection). It might fetch decent amount. Possibly a few hundred.... or a little more.

Looks like my estimate was right on the money (pun intended). :ninja:

I always ship normal postage ($2-$3) and point out it's at the buyers risk. If the buyer wants expensive services liked "signed-for" they will usually ask.

Number of coins I've bought and sold over the years on eBay...more than 400. Number that have ever been lost in the mail, domestic or international...0. I'm sure others can tell stories of lost coins, but honestly most buyers will take the risk.

My recommendation to sellers is to be careful -- according to eBay rules it is always sellers risk when it comes to shipping, not buyers, which is why they removed the option to ask buyers to pay for insurance. Regardless of what you state in your listing eBay rules always override.

And my recommendation to buyers is to pay by credit card that offers protection or PayPal.

-lee

My recommendation to sellers is to be careful -- according to eBay rules it is always sellers risk when it comes to shipping, not buyers, which is why they removed the option to ask buyers to pay for insurance. Regardless of what you state in your listing eBay rules always override.

And my recommendation to buyers is to pay by credit card that offers protection or PayPal.

-lee

Right. I think this is good advice. Reading their policies carefully, eBay have significantly upgraded their Buyer Protection policy recently (end of November 2009) so outside of proof of delivery, shipping risk now looks to be pretty much all on the seller.

Steve

-lee

Strange, I had always thought it was the buyer who takes most of the risk. Buyer pays up front for the purchase and for the shipping. And in case of dissatisfaction with the purchase has to often appeal to eBay or Paypal to get the money back, but always under the condition that the item is shipped back to the seller (again at buyer's expense). It seems the seller, always ends up with either the money or the original item, and never loses on shipping. The buyer is potentially left with neither the money or the item.

I assume there can be fraud perpetrated by buyers, but at this point on eBay most of the fraud comes from the seller side (IMHO).

Looks like my estimate was right on the money (pun intended). ;)

:ninja: & it looks like the postage was no issue either, as I am selling to raise funds for a new baby & ebay take fees as well as paypal, it's not a great idea to reduce it further by taking any postal risks.

Thanks to all for the help and advise on this

...it looks like the postage was no issue either...

Postage costs, like everything else, are relative.

A $10 shipping charge for a $2 coin is highly significant.

But a $10 shipping charge for a $2000 coin is so insignificant that it is almost meaningless.

Strange, I had always thought it was the buyer who takes most of the risk. Buyer pays up front for the purchase and for the shipping. And in case of dissatisfaction with the purchase has to often appeal to eBay or Paypal to get the money back, but always under the condition that the item is shipped back to the seller (again at buyer's expense). It seems the seller, always ends up with either the money or the original item, and never loses on shipping. The buyer is potentially left with neither the money or the item.

I assume there can be fraud perpetrated by buyers, but at this point on eBay most of the fraud comes from the seller side (IMHO).

If only, all a buyer has to to get their money back is claim non receipt, it doesn't matter who signed for what (I know from experience)

Archived