CoinPeople.com

Copies

Brian2

I think you are right. I checked another real one and it has the single dots too. So obviously, the only options left to telling a real one, is the weight, size, maybe number of denticles, and possibly the thickness and edge. Anything else ??

Bye the way. My most favourite designs on british coins are 1. Gothic Crown. 2. Una and the Lion 5#. 3. George III "Three Graces" Crown. 4. 1887-1892 Victoria Half Crown. 5. Victoria (vailed head) George & Dragon Crown. 6. Victoria "Garter" Shilling and Sixpence, in that order.

So obviously, the only options left to telling a real one, is the weight, size, maybe number of denticles, and possibly the thickness and edge. Anything else ??

Sorry to state the absolute obvious but the massive word 'REPLICA' stamped on the obverse is a bit of a giveaway.

Regardless of the "replica" "copy" whatever label, I think that copies have some valid uses. They enable folks to have a sample of a coin that they might never have any hope to have in their collection. They make great pocket pieces. They're very useful for pass-arounds at seminars and such where you wouldn't dare circulate the real coin.

I'm sorry that some folks are unscrupulous and use nice replicas to defraud others but I think the whole banning, labelling thing is an intrusion on my rights. I'm frankly quite sick of government intervention into the lives of millions of folks because of the bad acts of a few.

With all the outsourcing of our products I wonder why our Government hasn't outsourced our coins to China yet. They are really geting good at this. In fact why not have them make the coinage for the entire planet.

Can you imagine how long it would take to get your proof sets?

I agree with ART. I think it is a great way to get those coins which we don't have a chance of buying. Not only do they fill a gap in a collection, but they are a good conversation piece and a way for us to appreciate the design which we could normaly only do with pictures. If someone is unscrupulous with copy's, then it is up to everyone else to weed them out and bring the law down on them. Copy coins also keep us on our toes in that we have to learn all we can about the real thing to avoid them. In that way we can pass on our knowledge to those who don't know and make them wary as well. And as ART popinted out, we have enough rules and laws as it is, without strangling us with more. (just my opinion folks)

PS. I ordered one of the "UNA AND THE LION" coins as it is one of my favourite designs.

Archived