1. 1. Pick your favorite

• Baltimore Oriole Medal
    • 1809 Loge des Sept Ecossais réunis, France

bill's Baltimore Oriole Medal

961504.jpg

Baltimore Oriole Festival 1882

elverno's 1809 Loge des Sept Ecossais réunis, France

898251.jpg

Another rare Masonic medal from the collection of Prince Victor Napoleon, known as Napoleon V.

It is described as follows:

"Obverse, Within a ring formed by a serpent, having its tail in its mouth, a cross patee gules, surmounted by a smaller cross bottone argent. Legend, SEPT ECOSSAIS REUNIS O.*. DE PARIS.

Reverse, The square and compasses, enclosing a star of seven points bearing the letter G. Between the points are flames ; around the star are figures in the following order, beginning at the top, under the head of the compasses, 7, 5, 3, 1, 6, 4, 2, which are placed on the inner edge of a glory of sixteen points, surrounding the star, and the rays of which are surmounted by the square and compasses. Legend, LA DOUCE ET CONFIANTE AMITE LES UNIT 5809. [sweet and trusting friendship unites them.J Copper silvered. Size 19. This Lodge was instituted February 4, 1809."

Obviously it was also produced in copper. I bought the better part of Victor Napoleon's Masonic collection from a dealer several years ago. Individual pieces only appear every two or three years. The Reunited Seven Scotsmen produced a beautiful medal.

The Mason medal is described as having on its obverse a ring formed by a serpent having its tail in its mouth.

The name for this symbol is an oroborus and it's an ancient symbol for the circle of life, and it also got my vote!

The Mason medal is described as having on its obverse a ring formed by a serpent having its tail in its mouth.

The name for this symbol is an oroborus and it's an ancient symbol for the circle of life, and it also got my vote!

Very interesting! :ninja: I did not know that. But this medal did get my vote

Archived