Art

PCI2010 Group 2B.1 Voting  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your favorite

• William the Conqueror Penny
    • Denier of Blois

YeOldeCollector's William the Conqueror Penny

977036.jpg

This particular William the Conqueror penny was minted at Bristol mint by the moneyer Beorhtweard. The reverse reads BRIHTPORD ON BRI. Now, 6,500 William I pennies were found in one hoard alone and there must be thousands more in collections so it is most surprising that less than fifty coins of William I are known for Bristol mint. That is less than fifty coins from all his types, not just the Paxs. Therefore this penny is quite scarce given the lack of apparent Bristol pence. The reverse features a short cross pattée with PAXS within its limbs.

The obverse features William's draped bust with arm and hand holding a sceptre which is spread across his breast. Reading PILLELM REX, i.e. King William. This is my favourite William I Penny, Paxs issue. Beorhtweard on the scarce mint of Bristol. Not far off as-struck condition and measuring just under 2cm in diameter or about 3/4 of an inch.

bill's Denier of Blois

941558.jpg

Rare denier of Blois, France. 940-950 A.D. Minimalist portrait of an idealized king. In time, them image became increasing abstract until the notion of representing a portrait was lost entirely.

Archived