CoinPeople.com

True Value of Alfred The Great Penny?

mxwizard

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and this is just my first post but I will be honest right off of the bat and let you know that I don't really have too much interest in coins but stumbled across this forum whilst searching out some info from the net so thought why not drop in and ask "the guys in the know" so to speak lol.

I have a coin that was given to me back when I was a boy... many moons ago now lol... anyways I was going to sell it on eBay but as you all know eBay can be a risky thing at the best of times when it comes to the final value of any said item and I was worried that I might receive less than the coin is worth so I thought I'd do some research on the coin first to get a better idea of its true value. Had a quick look online but really had no idea what I was looking for other than an Alfred the Great penny. I soon found that there are many variations and moneyers etc so I had to take the coin down to the local coin store to see if the guy down there could give me more info. Now when I showed him the coin his eyes lit up like the little shiny bulbs on a Christmas tree (meaning he either thought I was very green or he simply isn't any good at poker lol).

Anyways he told me the coin is in great condition (can provide a pic I guess if necessary) and that it was indeed an Alfred the Great penny and that it was hammered silver and he was also able to tell me that the moneyer was Dunninc and that it would have been struck in Canterbury... he went on to say that the coin was pretty rare. Now here's where he's gonna wish he was a bit better at estimating me or hiding his poker hand better cos here it comes.... He asked me what I thought it was worth and if I wanted to sell it LOL. I squirmed a bit cos I knew I didnt want to sell it there and then on the spot without first researching it further as his reaction to the coin had me curious.... anyways after a bit of idle chit chat he says he reckons the coin would probably fetch £600 so he would offer me £500.

Now heres the bit where I'm hoping the "guys in the know" can help me LOL... I had a look through the various google pages having searched for the terms Alfred the Great Penny Value moneyer Dunninc and pretty much drew a blank except for a link to some age old auction where one of these coins fetched much much more... just over £2000 lol.. I cant even really find much to go on with just searching without the term value either lol... seems the information online regarding this coin could actually be more scarce than the coin itself lol.

Anyways guys I would really appreciate some input with regards to any info on this particular coin (particularly value) as I am leaving the U.K for Canada next Thursday (4th feb) so the money will come in very handy and I would like to know whether to take the coin guys offer or not as I only have this guys word to go on as to its true value and eBay seems to me to be too much of a risky prospect lol.

Thanks for reading folks and I look forward to checking back and seeing if anyone has anything to offer in terms of a reply :-)

IMAGE0001.JPG

IMAGE0002.JPG

Could you post a good clear picture of it, without doubt myself or someone else can help.

Thanks for your reply :-)

These arent the greatest of pics but my digital camera battery is flat so this was on the flat bed scanner. The coin actually looks more silverish in real life lol.

Thanks again

IMAGE0001.JPG

IMAGE0002.JPG

Thanks for the reply :-) ...I'm pretty confident its real... I've had it for over 30 years now and not so sure that the coins were being copied/faked so much back then? the guy in the coin store also gives me confidence that its an original as I'm thinking he would have probably been able to spot it as a fake if that was the case and highly doubt that he would have offered me £500 for a fake coin... that being said I guess anything is possible but like I say I'm pretty confident it's the real deal... just a shame the pics I posted arent that great as it makes the coin look almost dark goldy coloured where its actually silver to look at. I refuse to touch the coin or go anywhere near it with any kind of cleaner as I read online that the grease from the skin can cause damage and that cleaning is best left to the experts but it's definately silver when you look at it in real life. Anyways I'll hold off on selling it until I hear something more solid from one of you guys :-)

many Thanks.

I'm afraid that, from these photographs/scans, I am unable to say much.

If it is genuine then you could perhaps be looking at more than £500. If not real, then no more than £20. It also depends on condition, exact variety, mint et cetera. Different factors can make it much more valuable.

This is a coin which I really need to see in the hand to say any more. Whereabouts in the UK are you?

Clive is correct if a bit generous on the 'fake' assessment. I, personally, am always suspicious of pristine Anglo-Saxon coins, Hammered English too! Our far eastern friends are very adept at reproduction and spend a lot of time making them 'authentic'. And yes, there were copiers around 30 years ago, some of them closer to home than China :ninja:

Clive is correct if a bit generous on the 'fake' assessment. I, personally, am always suspicious of pristine Anglo-Saxon coins, Hammered English too! Our far eastern friends are very adept at reproduction and spend a lot of time making them 'authentic'. And yes, there were copiers around 30 years ago, some of them closer to home than China ;)

I messaged the original poster to say that I believe the coin to be a definite fake but have heard nothing more from him. :ninja:

Unfortunately, fake coins are becoming all too common lately and the collector needs to keep up to date with the latest news in order to ensure that they only buy genuine coins. Also, the general coin dealer will find it very hard to spot a fake hammered coin, especially one of these early pennies as they just don't have the experience in handling them.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived