CoinPeople.com

3c Nickel on TV

ccg

It is an interesting show , i often wonder how the people feel later when watching the show as rick rubs his hands gloating about profit.Theres something very odd about the show , we have 4 guys yet never see any one of them with a woman.The niece Peaches gets minimal coverage on the show and we get chumlee and humpty dumpty.

I cringed when they set the old grandpa a test of finding the CC dollar and dumped a load of silver dollars onto his desk , no airtites , no slabs , no nothing.

If i followed the story line correctly Peaches is Ricks sisters daughter and he is afraid of the sister.Last i heard she was dumped back to the nightshift,now theres a shift i wouldnt mind missing , nightshift in a las vegas pawn shop.

Pawnstars ROCKS :ninja: I watch it every week

Glad they showsome currency once in a while. They had a 1914 (I think, +/- 4 years) US banknote, Rick and the owner were haggling, settled at about $800... and a guy who brought in a 1860s wallet with confederate banknotes...

and a 1779-ish banknote printed by Ben Franklin (about $2000) *drool*

and a 1779-ish banknote printed by Ben Franklin (about $2000) *drool*

I remember that one, it was a 1760 note from Pennsylvania. The curious part about the post 1754 notes printed by Franklin and Sellers, is that Ben Franklin was by then a passive partner in the business and did not actually work in the shop. Only the notes from before 1754 were likely printed by Franklin, and the ones from before the partnership with David Sellers were all printed by Franklin himself. As for Franklin printed notes, you don't have to spend $2K to get one, I own several of them myself and one of them I only paid a Ben Franklin and a Hamilton for about a year or so ago in a Heritage auction that seemingly got overlooked because it was one of their Tuesday Internet only auctions.

Neat show from the couple episodes I have seen. Will definitely try to watch it more often.

To paraphrase:

"I paid $15 for it, it's worth about $25"

Close up of obverse at 0:12 and reverse at 1:07

Looks like a VG to me... :ninja:

Yeah, I can't see him getting much more than $15 for it, especially at a pawn shop rather than a coin shop.

Well, the 1932 s quarter had a soldered on s mint mark.

I had not seen this one before. On the first show tonite they had a clump of rupees salvaged by Arthur C. Clarke from a shipwreck off the coast of Sri Lanka. To me it seemed like a set up for getting free advertisement. I mean the guy comes in with the coins and says it did not make minimum bid. Almost sounded like he wanted the minimum bid at least (Which he could not sell it for previously.) Of course no deal. And what do you know on his website he says as seen on pawn stars. BTW he has the voc bell sold at the shop for sale on his website.

• 1 month later...

A friend of mine at work just visited the store last week. She said it is MUCH smaller than TV makes it appear. They have a lot of cool stuff and were happy to pose with her for some photos. All of them did it, even the Old Man. She said they are pretty down to earth people and are more laid back than the show makes them seem (go figure). She did get to hear Rick yell at his son for being an idiot though. :ninja:

I completely missed the original post and likely I would not have understood it at the time. But, since then, I saw a bumch of episodes during one of those 'marathons' where they show the whole season. I really liked it and thought it was funny and very entertaining. There was one bit with some fractional currency and, as I recall, he was psyched that he was getting a Ben Franklin signed note and it turned out that another, lesser known, signature made the note very desireable.

The star is a very likeable sort and the show does a lot to combat any sleazy image connected with pawn shops. It is also notable that the guy has an entire network of consultants, and seems to know a heck of a lot himself.

1865 3c CN featured on pawnstars

To paraphrase:

"I paid $15 for it, it's worth about $25"

Close up of obverse at 0:12 and reverse at 1:07

Looks like a VG to me... :ninja:

I thought the short video gave a decent overview of 3¢ nickels.

Archived