CoinPeople.com

Ancient Ptolemy coin, or Greek?, Couldn't find anything in the catalogues. Any suggestions?

Guest the13th

Guest the13th

Hello,

My brother brought some coin, which he says he bought on a street market in Tsessaloniki. It looks like a Ptolemy dynasty coin to me, but further than that I can't say anything.

Does anybody recognize the coin, or have any idea on how much it could be worth?

Thanks.

P.S. sorry, if posted in the wrong section, I'm new here.

P.P.S. pictures attached

post-7922-1263846727_thumb.jpg

post-7922-1263846750_thumb.jpg

Guest the13th

damn, that's bad.

How can one tell whether the coin is genuine? I couldn't find this coin, because on all coins I've seen the bird was facing leftwards. This one looks to the right.

So is it worthless then?

Its not supposed to be Ptolemy, my apologies for being brief as I was at work and didnt have time to look it up, I just saw the portrait and right away believed it to be fake. It supposed to be King Perseus of Macedon:

Diademed head of Perseus right with close beard / BASI-LEWS PER-SEWS Eagle standing right, wings open, mark between legs and left field. )what marks it has would further ID it)

The style seems quite a bit off, especially on the obverse and it shows strong signs of casting in a base metal, probably not silver. Photo is a bit off as well... I could be wrong.

Go here and look at the styles of these coins compare to yours:

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/mace.../perseus/t.html

I assume this guy wont be back (under this name at least), I believe we should ban him. Wont keep him from coming back under another account but its the principle of the matter, he used info he got here to help him try and sell a fake.

He comes to the forum acting like a guy who just wants to know more about a coin he picked up here:

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showto...mp;#entry480967

He asked about this coin, had the wrong attribution (not to mention the coin is fake). I attributed the coin and told him it is fake. Now the OP of that thread is selling this coin on a Russian eBay type site.

Here:

http://molotok.ru/show_item.php?item=892154715

Now the original write up on this item reads like this:

Golden age of Greek culture. Kingdom of the Ptolemies - the current territory of Egypt, where 2300 years ago ruled of the Greek dynasty of the Ptolemies.

The coin is expected to belong to the period of reign of Ptolemy the Sixth Philometor, who ruled from 180 to 145 years BC. The first son of Cleopatra, known for his martial exploits in Assyria.

All these conclusions were drawn from studies of the history of this coin by the Numismatic Society of South-West England Dorsetshire. Certificate with the conclusion will be attached to the coin.

Approximate date of coinage between 156 and 143 years before Christ. Coins approximately 2160 years. Age was determined using the carbon half-life, as well as Research coin catalogs.

Condition coins was rated as VF + excellent. Part of the picture on reverce erased, but given the age of the coin and all the war and bad weather, which she survived - the preservation Please inspect the photo - this is what you get.

The coin is stored in a special velvet fabric and will be sold along with it. A unique specimen of ancient Greek colony - Egypt.

A day after I tell him the actual attribution of this coin, and that is clearly a fake, this appears on the listing:

as seen a couple of users, there are errors in the description. Age coin has been identified accurately, and the location is not quite.

This coin of Macedonia. On the reverse Perseus.

Moreover, the estimated value of this coin - 6500 Euro coin in a little better condition was sold in Munich for 17000 Euro. For more information go to link. (link to coinarchives of a stunning example)

Although previously he had written this regarding his original incorrect attribution:

All these conclusions were drawn from studies of the history of this coin by the Numismatic Society of South-West England Dorsetshire. Certificate with the conclusion will be attached to the coin.

So in his original write up he claims this coin has been certified authentic by some numismatic organization and as a Ptolemy and that a certificate has been issued to back this up. Now he knows its a different, more expensive coin (because a person like myself stupidly helped him ID the fake coin, he didnt even know what KIND of fake he was trying to pawn off) so he goes back and only mentions the new attribution and lets people know its worth far more than previously thought (to bilk some idiot out of more money)

So needless to say, this guy is a crook.

I guess if you are going to rip people off with a fake coin, you might as well have the correct attribution eh? I guess the Numismatic Society of South-West England Dorsetshire were off a little eh? I guess you are going to have to reprint the certificate to the correct attribution. If you are going to pawn off a fake coin and try to sell it for thousands, your fake certificate from a fake authroity should ID the coin correctly at least.

I guess if you are going to rip people off with a fake coin, you might as well have the correct attribution eh? I guess the Numismatic Society of South-West England Dorsetshire were off a little eh? I guess you are going to have to reprint the certificate to the correct attribution. If you are going to pawn off a fake coin and try to sell it for thousands, your fake certificate from a fake authroity should ID the coin correctly at least.

well done for spotting that auction, and for your very apt response to the original poster.

Post mortum:

This scumbag came to Forum where a thread about his fake coin he is trying to sell is and wrote this:

lol you guys.

instead of jerking off to girls like normal dudes you spend your whole f**in' weekends jerkin' off to coins an' investigating sн*t.

I'll sell this coin for 220 dollars. Already found a customer (coin connoisseur), so thanks for banning me on molotok, but I don't give much sн*t.

You can celebrate and keep pretend that you're important (which you're not )

Ever yours, Bender.

coiny-faggots

P.S. and please, learn English properly before writing here, lol.

Vash angliyski - polnoe gavno. Chitaem knigi. Pediki.

When he was asked by the website he was trying to use to rip people off for the so called certificate of authenticity he linked to this webpage:

http://sites.google.com/site/christchurchnumismatics/

here is the REAL page for this coin:

http://trajan.ru/ref.htm

I find the funniest thing to be him saying we are sad for spending the weekend looking at coins instead of 'jerking off' to girls...as if that is somehow LESS pathetic!! :ninja:

Scum

• 3 weeks later...

Archived