CoinPeople.com

Error Question

I was fortunate enough to buy a 2008-W American Eagle from the mint and it came with the reverse of the 2007 coin on it. I sent it off to NGC and it came back a MS69 and labled with the reverse back. Is this considered an error coin? I know it's now the key to the American Eagle Registey Set and sells for around $550.

Is this considered an error coin?

An error would be more along the lines of a split planchet, multiple strikes, strikethroughs, die clashes, brockage, off-centered, etc, etc.

The "reverse of" would be a variety, specifically a transitional variety. The dies were indeed as intended, though the die pairs were not necessarily.

An error would be more along the lines of a split planchet, multiple strikes, strikethroughs, die clashes, brockage, off-centered, etc, etc.

The "reverse of" would be a variety, specifically a transitional variety. The dies were indeed as intended, though the die pairs were not necessarily.

Thanks for clearing that up for me as I didn't think it was but wasn't sure so I wanted to check. I don't specialize in error coins so I know very little about them. The coin I mentioned isn't going to be sold because it's part of my Registery set.

Archived