CoinPeople.com

Foxing

MMMM

I really don't do much at all. I would be more concerned if I lived in a place with high humidity, which I think might be the major contributor to foxing. I know one person who does live in high humudity and he seals his banknotes in plastic holders that are archival safe. He has a pretty high end collection, though and it is most definitely worth that effort.

Cool, but I am still not sure that sealing banknotes is good for them.

Well, I have so far kept my banknotes in this protective way for the past 20+ years, and they are still in the same condition as before.

Well, I have so far kept my banknotes in this protective way for the past 20+ years, and they are still in the same condition as before.

It is the archivest in me. always cautous.

Every once in a while in trade magazines and on the web I come across quotes like this one found on:

http://www.stampsrart.com/temperature-humi...hilatelics.html

"all philatelic and stamp papers are inherently acidic and for this reason undergo constant decomposition. When a semi/sealed plastic holder is used for their storage or display, the by-products of the decomposition become trapped within the interior space of the plastic holder. Unless the plastic holder is allowed to breathe, a "micro-climate" becomes formed within the holder. The formation of such a microclimate can amplify the decomposition of the items of philately, and/or that of the plastic compounds of the holder itself. The implications of sealing paper within a micro-climate has only recently been studied and has been identified as also being capable of being formed between the semi/sealed paper pages of stamp albums and in philatelic storage containers;"

At the museums I worked at they never sealed paper. They used special storage boxes with layered acid free tissue. But for a collection like mine it would not be worth it.

It is the archivest in me. always cautous.

Every once in a while in trade magazines and on the web I come across quotes like this one found on:

http://www.stampsrart.com/temperature-humi...hilatelics.html

"all philatelic and stamp papers are inherently acidic and for this reason undergo constant decomposition. When a semi/sealed plastic holder is used for their storage or display, the by-products of the decomposition become trapped within the interior space of the plastic holder. Unless the plastic holder is allowed to breathe, a "micro-climate" becomes formed within the holder. The formation of such a microclimate can amplify the decomposition of the items of philately, and/or that of the plastic compounds of the holder itself. The implications of sealing paper within a micro-climate has only recently been studied and has been identified as also being capable of being formed between the semi/sealed paper pages of stamp albums and in philatelic storage containers;"

At the museums I worked at they never sealed paper. They used special storage boxes with layered acid free tissue. But for a collection like mine it would not be worth it.

There are a lot of these studies done. Some even uses newspaper to wrap up banknote. It was recommended by my collector friends many years ago. Due to the humid climate in the tropical countries, foxing will appear on the notes. For cold and dry countries, banknotes do not fox that easily.

Once the banknote is sealed in the non-oil based plastic sheet, there is no air present. It's a vacuum. Never used PVC plastic sheet as they produces oil over a period of time. The oil will stained the banknotes. So far, myself and the rest of my collector friend finds this method to be effective. Unless the person who seal it did not seal it properly leaving pockets of air in the plastic sheet. It should be flat and no air is present.

Here is the website for lighthouse brand or in German brand ( Leuchtturm ). This German brand have been around for many many years.

http://www.leuchtturm.com/epages/leuchttur...ries/DE/DE_2414

Here are some details of the product.

lighthousevarioplasticsheet.jpg

Archived