CoinPeople.com

Art Salmons New Coin Arrivals

Art Salmons

I will set this up to provide updates on my acquisitions as they arrive. I've finally finished my Registry Set of Franklin Half Dollars with the final coin coming in two weeks ago. The set ranks 46th on the NGC registry set board. I also completed (up to date) my register set of American Eagles in MS69 all graded by NGC with 5 coins still in transit. I won't know my final ranking until I get them and post them on the NGC site. My next registry set will be a set of American Eagle proof coins all graded by NGC and they will all be PF69 Ultra Cameo and that set should take me the next 18 months or so.

I'm also all fired up again about world coins and I'm trying to add to my collection. I really like British coins especially the penny and farthings. I buy world coins based on just purely liking the design and then trying to get an example that displays the coin well. I generally try to get an UNC copy but in some cases buy an XF example. I buy these raw and 95% of my purchases come from Ebay as I buy and sell up there.

I'm new to the forum and look forward to sharing information and learning all that I can from the other forum members.

My latest coins brought by the mailman. :ninja:

1918 French 2 Franc

1918French2FrancObverse.jpg

1918French2FrancReverse.jpg

1881 British Farthing

1881BritishFarthingObverse.jpg

1881BritishFarthingReverse.jpg

Welcome Art Salmons! How did you find your way here?

Well I've been really busy working on my collections of US certifed coins and then about a week ago I dug out my world coins and reviewed them to make sure I had them all cataloged and in my collection spread sheet. That fired me up to start buying world coins again and I especially like British coins but I'm not limited to that because if I see a coin from any country that I like and it's a good example of the coin I will try to buy if my budget allows.

So to answer the question I did a google search on coin forums and I saw this one so I checked it out and then I joined. :ninja:

So to answer the question I did a google search on coin forums and I saw this one so I checked it out and then I joined. :ninja:

You won't regret it. Many here are hip-deep into both US and British and World coins. I, myself, stick to good ol' American issues.

You won't regret it. Many here are hip-deep into both US and British and World coins. I, myself, stick to good ol' American issues.

It’s funny that the reason I branched out to world coins is because on US coins I only build sets. I mean I start a collection of say Washington Quarters and then I worked 10 years to get the set completed and now I just keep it up to date. The same with my Roosevelt dime set, Jefferson nickels, Kennedy Haves, Lincoln Cents and although that set is just about being completed that task feels like a mission. I find that after a while I start to burn out because the coins in my books all look the same with different dates and mint marks. So then I get fired up about world coins and I look through the coin books at each country and then I decide which coins I don't have that I really like and then I go on a quest to find it and buy it. This is really exciting and quite frankly some of the world coins have some beautiful designs like our Mercury dime, Indian penny or walking liberty half. I never build a set of coins made outside of the USA because I only want one really nice example of the coin for my world set.

Very nice. One thing that I have and use as a diversion if I'm out of gas on my main collections, or out of money, I have a collection of one coin and one note from every country in the world. Started with the current UN countries and branched out from there. It is very very far from complete. I'm not too fussy about the type of coin I use. Just something that I like.

• 2 weeks later...

I had some coins arrive today and a few of them struck me as ones I really like.

1887 Half Crown - I love this coin and the scans don't show the toning as it really is. The toning is a violet color with the silver shinning threw and it has loads of eye appeal.

1887BritishShillingOB.jpg

1887BritishShillingRV.jpg

1817 Shilling - This coin is dark but when held up to the light the toning is almost red wine colored.

1817ShillingOb.jpg

1817ShillingRV.jpg

1754 Farthing - I usually don't buy coins graded this low but this coin just looked good to me. The coin is a red brown color with lots of wear but I really like it. The scan is a little dark but it was the best I could get the scanner to do.

1754FarthingOB.jpg

1754Farthing.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I had some coins arrive today and a few of them struck me as ones I really like.

1887 Half Crown - I love this coin and the scans don't show the toning as it really is. The toning is a violet color with the silver shinning threw and it has loads of eye appeal.

1887BritishShillingOB.jpg

1887BritishShillingRV.jpg

That's a shilling! Nice coin nonetheless