CoinPeople.com

Paper Money TPG's - Opinions Please

hiho

Paper Money TPG's - Opinions Please  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which paper money certification service do you prefer?

• CGA
    • PCGS
    • PMG
    • I prefer my banknotes uncertified

I collected United States paper money back in the 1970's, 1980's and early 1990's before anyone certified banknotes. Red seal star notes, Nationals, Obsolete, low and fancy serial numbers, you name it.

I submitted a few Nationals to CGA when they started up in 1998 and felt they did a pretty good job, but that's all the experience that I have had with "slabbing" paper money.

99% of my collection was "raw" in Mylar holders and that was fine with me.

I have been more into coins for the past 10-12 years but have decided to slowly get back into banknotes. I can't resist...

CGA appears to have become the ANACS of paper money certification, stuck in third place behind PCGS and PMG.

I would appreciate it if people here could share their opinions of the three paper money grading services so I can get caught up.

I realize that many of you HATE certified banknotes and that's fine too.

Please vote and share your opinions so I can get back up to speed.

Thanks!

HiHo :ninja:

Hi HiHo,

I voted PMG. I have several certifieds from them. I don't prefer certified notes vs. uncertified but for my higher grade, higher value notes, I kind of do like slabbed recognition.

Certified notes are less of an eyesore than certified coins. I don't know why though...

My collection is really at two ends of the spectrum. One part of my collection is so low in value that there is no point in getting it slabbed, that said they are all UNC. The other part which is the more valuable, I hardly find notes in higher grades and the notes command a reasonable price or premium regardless of the condition, so there is hardly any point getting it certified.

I do have one or two slabbed notes, more because, those were what were available when I was looking for them, not because I got them slabbed. I do not like slabbed currency.

I am just curious. How much does it cost to PMG grade a banknote in USA ? Over here in Singapore, we do not have this American grading services until the recent years. I intend to send some of my investment notes later for grading.

Such grading is good only when you intend to sell your banknote in the later part of your long term investment. If it is for personal collection, don't bother to waste your money. Moreover, I believe, there are too many pieces in our collection. It will cost a bomb to PMG grade them. :ninja:

I am just curious. How much does it cost to PMG grade a banknote in USA ? Over here in Singapore, we do not have this American grading services until the recent years. I intend to send some of my investment notes later for grading.

Such grading is good only when you intend to sell your banknote in the later part of your long term investment. If it is for personal collection, don't bother to waste your money. Moreover, I believe, there are too many pieces in our collection. It will cost a bomb to PMG grade them. :ninja:

On the low end, PMG charges for US money $25 USD and $30 USD for World. this is per note minimum of 5 notes.

• 9 months later...

An interesting question. Most of my banknotes are low value common notes. I wouldn't bother to have them certified as the expense far outweighs the value of the notes. I have a few MPCs that are certified only because I purchased them that way. Prices were far lower than just the cost of certification - so why not.

Archived