CoinPeople.com

1965 Canadian Penny

AMDSCOrPiO

I picked up a Canadian Coins Catalogue today so I went through some coins I have.

I came across some 1965 pennies which the Catalogue shows can be rare. It says their is 4 versions of this coin. Small beads, pointed 5 / blunt 5 and Large Beads pointed 5 / blunt 5.

The book says the coin with large beads and pointed 5 is rare, my question is how much is it worth? Cause I can't find any values anywhere.

Pics

Compare

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k82/bellco564/Beads.jpg

Obverse

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k82/bellco564/LBP51.jpg

Reverse

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k82/bellco564/LBP52.jpg

• 11 months later...

In my 2011 Charlton Standard Cat. on Canadian coins, it says there are 4 types recognised.

SB P5 - smallbeads pointed 5

SB B5 - smallbeads blunt 5

there is also

LB P5 - Large beads pointed 5

LB B5 - Large Beads blunt 5

There is a note that -quote- 'small beads' the location of the "A" in "REGINA" on the small beads the A points between two beads.

whereas on the large beads obverse it points at a bead - end-

Two of the 4 types, are just face value until you hit MS 62 & up.

The other 2 , SB P5 & the LB P5 are in my recent Trends magazine are $.15 for a fine 12 example .

For the Large beads it says $3.50 for one in the same condition, & up to $350.00 for one MS-65

In my 2011 Charlton Standard Cat. on Canadian coins, it says there's 4 types recognised.

SB P5 - smallbeads pointed 5

SB B5 - smallbeads blunt 5

there is also

LB P5 - Large beads pointed 5

LB B5 - Large Beads blunt 5

There is a note that -quote- 'small beads' the location of the "A" in "REGINA" on the small beads the A points between two beads.

whereas on the large beads obverse it points at a bead - end-

Two of the 4 types, are just face value until you hit MS 62 & up.

The other 2 , SB P5 & the LB P5 are in my recent Trends magazine are $.15 for a fine 12 example .

For the Large beads it says $3.50 for one in the same condition, & up to $350.00 for one MS-65

I blew the photo provided up to 400% & I have all of the 1965's a blunt 5 is very square

& pointed 5 variety doesn't always touch....there is space in my example. My better half has an extensive penny collection & she believes its a pointed variety.

This example has large beads on the obverse, at 400 magnification there is no mistake.

So a LG P5 is worth according to my Trends mag , depending on condition ...F-12 3.50, VF-20 5.00, EF-40 8.00, AU-50 14.00, MS-60b 22, MS-62rb 35.00, MS-63r 60.00, MS-64 100.00 , MS-65 350.00.

I think your coin is in the very fine range...but it is difficult to judge that in a photo, for me.

Still its a nice find

It is a difficult one to judge. I didn't have my own example to compare to until recently. Based on the Charlton guide and the 1965's I have seen, I think the best diagnostic is the angle of the slant on the tip of the 5.

The "blunt 5" is really just less pointed. Looks to be about a 15-20 degree angle. The "pointed" 5 is about a 35-40 degree angle. This is what made me change my mind on this piece, the angle just doesn't look sharp enough to be a pointed 5.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived