CoinPeople.com

Deceptive 1762 10 Kopeck overstrike

squirrel

less than authentic. Look at the design of the coin this is supposedly overstruck on. Looks geniune, but later than 1762. :ninja:

Very deceptive, indeed -- looks like a Catherine II pyatak was used. ;)

less than authentic. Look at the design of the coin this is supposedly overstruck on. Looks geniune, but later than 1762. :ninja:

looks to me like a fake was made on cheap original 5 kopeks ;)

The coin looks strange to me. I wouldn't bid on it. The eagle has a completely different shape than on others I saw. But this kind of coin could be a restrike from a 1758-1761 pyatak which is similar to Catherine II's.

The coin looks strange to me. I wouldn't bid on it. The eagle has a completely different shape than on others I saw. But this kind of coin could be a restrike from a 1758-1761 pyatak which is similar to Catherine II's.

Your first instinct is right...it's a fake. Yes, real Peter III 10Ks are often seen as overstrikes on Elizabeth 5Ks, perhaps that's the deception they were trying to achieve. The eagle is so bad, however, that it should fool nobody :ninja:

Steve

Your first instinct is right...it's a fake. Yes, real Peter III 10Ks are often seen as overstrikes on Elizabeth 5Ks, perhaps that's the deception they were trying to achieve. The eagle is so bad, however, that it should fool nobody :ninja:

Steve

I have seen worse imitations. Sure we would not be fooled but there are many collectors out there and not all get suspicious at this overall nice looking overstrike coin. 4 days to go and already 7 bids on it.

The eagle is beautiful, showing sharp detail, far from the real thing, but very tempting indeed for an unexperienced collector. On the other hand the cannon barrel is bent and the cyphers ("7" for example) ore out of style. Sigi

Archived