CoinPeople.com

looking for more information on these 17th century coins

ScottO

i know these are crude coins made from billion But i am wondering are ALL these minted for the occupation of Riga?

976912.jpg

1628 solidus

976911.jpg

1621?

976910.jpg

1632?

why is the 32 all squashed up? this coin has lustre so perhaps a way of removing the stuff on it?

Hi 'ScottO'. These do indeed appear be coins of Riga. The municipal arms with two overlapped keys is a give away on this. Riga was under Swedish control at the time, and remainded so until 1710 when it gained semi-autonomy, and was annexed to Russia in 1721. The first two were issued under King: Gustav Adolf II, the third was Queen: Kristina.

~Daniel

Hi 'ScottO'. These do indeed appear be coins of Riga. The municipal arms with two overlapped keys is a give away on this. Riga was under Swedish control at the time, and remainded so until 1710 when it gained semi-autonomy, and was annexed to Russia in 1721. The first two were issued under King: Gustav Adolf II, the third was Queen: Kristina.

~Daniel

The indentification is corect. First 2 coins are from Sweden GUSTAV II ADOLF (1611 - 1632) solidus / shiling and the third is Sweden CHRISTINA (1622 - 1654) solidus / shiling. There are many fake coins issued in the same period in Moldavia by Istrate Dabija and also in Poland and others European countries.

Heare you can find some of the coins that are mint in Suceava ( Moldavia ): http://monederomanesti.cimec.ro/falsuri.htm The Moldavian coins have wrong legend write on the faces of coin,two part from different coin on same face or one side from one ruler and the other part from other.

I have 5 from those coins in my collection: Dabija fake

Archived