CoinPeople.com

Are gothic florins over-rated?

Ætheling

Are gothic florins over-rated?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Are gothic florins over-rated?

• Yes
    • No

I'd have to say no. They're quite beautiful and from what I can tell the prices tend to be reasonable. There appears to be pretty good demand on ebay.

Guest Stujoe

Outside of this forum, I typically see little mention of them. Whenever I do see them mentioned, they are rather well taken too by those who see them for the first time. I also doubt I could find one in my town at either a shop or show. So, I would rate it neither over-rated nor over-exposed in my experience.

Morgans I would rate as over-rated and over-exposed just about everywhere on Earth. There are probably people living in the remotest rainforests who are sick of seeing them. :ninja:

I agree on Morgans.

What i meant by over-rated is slightly diffeent than interpreted. I think it's a beautiful design and i regularly use it to convince unsuspecting litesiders to the power of the dark. They're nice coins and useful.

But i have heard people term gothic florins to be 'the best British coin ever', personally i think that's taking things a little far. It's certainly one of the better ones out there but i wouldn't call it the definitive.

I mean the gothic crown is one better, but there's other coins in the running the Una and the Lion 1839 £5 coin, the William IV crowns, George IV Crowns and £5 peices. Edward VII Florins. There are many other classics out there that could be definitively the best of British.

I always thought high grade George II Young head coinage and Charles II coins were way ahead of a gothic.

Morgan dollars are over-exposed, not gothic florins.

Are gothic florins overrated? I do not think so. It is a very beautiful design, and quite different from the designs of other bust coins. I think that they are becoming discovered by a wider audience and thus receiving more exposure than before. So perhaps they are relatively more exposed than previously, but not over-exposed -yet. :ninja: Of course in the UK, that probably does not hold true for obvious reasons.

I've noticed alot more of them around on forums of late. I hope they don't over do it. You know i like Morgan dollars, when i first saw one i thought. WOW! now i kinda think "yawn", i seriously hope they don't flog gothics to death until we're all fed up of seeing them.

The Gothic is a coin I'd be very pleased to have in my pocket as usual change, whereas I can't think of any modern pieces in use that I even notice! Bring back coins with meaning (and feeling)!

Had to edit - my fingers appear to be dyslexic!

As a newcomer to world coin collecting (2002) I didn't have a clue what to seek out so forums like this have helped develop my taste for beauty, craftsmanship and history. The Gothic florins are a very beautiful design and full of history. I think a lot of the attention is because of this STILL developing internet world and many collectors are now turning to world coins. There are so many I would love to own and all you collectors, that keep posting beautiful photos, are going to make me a poor man before its all said and done. It just KILLS me to see some of your photos and I DON'T own one, have never actually seen one, and don't have a clue how I am going to FINALLY get my paws on one! I have been amazed since 2002 and intend to stay that way for quite a few years. :ninja:

Hmm GD and i could have some fun here... (We have photos aplenty).

I mean i had a whole load of sixpences, i had a ton of stuff before i got into those.

GD's got some real beautiful coins as has GPNYC. I fell in love with that Transylvanian Ducat he had that time. I think it was GPNYC's. I was shocked when that one got defeated in the PCI. I forget what defeated it but i didn't like it after that...

Archived