CoinPeople.com

Moroccan?

luke_idk

Hello, everybody. :ninja:

A friend of mine, owes this coin.

Because of the Seal of Solomon, on the obverse, it looks like a moroccan falus, minted during the first half of the XIX century.

Dimensions don't fit at all, anyway.

weight = 0,62 g

diameter = 7, 76 mm

thickness = 1,81 mm

Does anybody know more?

Thanks, in advance.

001.jpg

It definitely looks like a Falus, but the reverse doesn't match any that I have seen. All specimens I have seen bear a large date and the name of the ruler under which the coin was minted. Although, based on your measurements, it could easily be a fractional coin, most likely a 1/4 falus.

According to Wikipedia, these coins were made until 1901, and based on the detailing of such a small coin, I would venture to guess that it is a later coin. I have a coin from AH 1212 (circa 1797 AD), and the detailing on the coin is notably more crude than on most comparable coins from the 1850s or later. Beyond that, I'm afraid I don't know quite enough to help, but most coins like this one will generally go for about 2-10 dollars on ebay.

Indeed it is enigmatic, but the clues are not the Seal of Solomon, but rather the Indian Goddess on the other side of the coin. It is an Indian Hindu temple token from about the mid 19th century. The Seal of Solomon did not of course have the same connection as we in the west would believe it would, but rather is another symbol to this other culture.

Indeed it is enigmatic, but the clues are not the Seal of Solomon, but rather the Indian Goddess on the other side of the coin. It is an Indian Hindu temple token from about the mid 19th century. The Seal of Solomon did not of course have the same connection as we in the west would believe it would, but rather is another symbol to this other culture.

Thank you, so much. Do you know where I can find something similar, on the web?

It definitely looks like a Falus, but the reverse doesn't match any that I have seen. All specimens I have seen bear a large date and the name of the ruler under which the coin was minted. Although, based on your measurements, it could easily be a fractional coin, most likely a 1/4 falus.

In fact; not the older ones and 1/4 falus is bigger, if I remember well

Archived