CoinPeople.com

Boy Scout Commem.

thedeadpoint

Boy Scout Commem.  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Where you in the Boy Scouts (or an equivalent)?

• No
    • Yes, for a good while
    • Yes, but not a long time

Here are the designs of the U.S. 2010 Boy Scouts of America commemorative dollar:

Boy-Scouts-of-America-BSA-Centennial-Commemorative-Silver-Dollar-Obverse-Design.jpg

Boy-Scouts-of-America-BSA-Centennial-Commemorative-Silver-Dollar-Reverse-Design.jpg

More information can be found at this website: http://www.coinnews.net/2009/12/21/us-mint...e-coin-designs/

I personally think both designs are atrocious. The obverse looks like it was designed by someone who has never designed a medal or coin. The reverse... well, I'm sure we're all thinking the same thing.

I was in Boy Scouts for all of a week or two. Just not my cup of tea. I have full respect for anyone who did it.

It stinks. How many boys and wannabees actually as a percentage of the population still belong to these organisations? It has to be a lot less than back in the 1970s when I had a brief encounter with membership before dropping off and not showing up at the "pack meetings".

I was never a Boy Scout although I wanted to be one very much. When my oldest son was old enough to be a Cub, I became a Den Assistant and then an Assistant Scout Master and such. I was with the Scouts for almost 9 years and enjoyed every minute of it. In addition to being a Scout Master I was a merit badge counselor for Coin Collecting (or course), Bicycling, Hiking, and several others. Our troop turned out 4 Eagles. Quite an accomplishment.

I like the design and will probably buy one and maybe one for each of my sons.

It stinks. How many boys and wannabees actually as a percentage of the population still belong to these organisations? It has to be a lot less than back in the 1970s when I had a brief encounter with membership before dropping off and not showing up at the "pack meetings".

I live close to the greatest hiking trail in our nation. I am friends with many bikers, climbers, paddlers, etc. None (or very few of them) were scouts. We all learned from our friends, fathers, and family how to do so many of the things the scouts used to have a monopoly on. I learned my knots, for example, from my years of climbing.

But I like what the organization stands for. It gives millions of youth some concrete goals and instills some good values. That deserves commemoration, albeit with a better design.

I'll probably get two sets. (If there is a proof and business strike) One for me and one for my son. I'll wait to see an actual picture to comment on design. I would have liked the ccac recommended one better. Most artist renditions of coins I've seen were worse then the actual coin. I would have liked seeing something like Philmont on it, but...

I was in cubs and scouts and followed my son thru to Eagle. (Assistant den leader, den leader, assistant scoutmaster, and scoutmaster.) What was fun was seeing some of the scouts coming back to the troop to visit. We had one Eagle Scout who was the first in his family graduate High School come back with scholarships to college. We still keep in touch with a couple of the boys. (Men with children of their own now. One has been over to Iraq and Afghanistan in the army. )

what? its a GLOBAL organisation not an american one... so this should have commmorated in 2007...

I wondered, what part of "Here are the designs of the U.S. 2010 Boy Scouts of America commemorative dollar" did you not understand? Perhaps I can help.

Obviously it is celebrating the foundation of the USA's Boy Scout Movement of 1910 which is an American national organization.

We all know that the Scout movement was begun by Baden-Powell in 1907, but this medal celebrates the centenary of the American Scouts not the centenary of The Scouts Movement.

Hope this explanation is clear :ninja:

2 medals issued for other National Scouting Organizations;

1909-2009, Malaysia Scout Centenary Medal.

The Scout Association of Malta Centenary Medal. 1908-2008.

I made eagle scout in the mid 1970's and was a cub leader when my son was young.

Scouts is what you (or your scoutmaster & troop) make of it. We had a great group of leaders who took us on a campout once a month - the troop was one of the first in our area and had a lot of past members who were active in helping out and funding our efforts. It's true that you can learn the same things from adults or parents in different settings, but many who participate are not likely to have any exposure to not only the skills, but also the cameraderie and sense of belonging, at home. I think that it's a good organization overall.

I'm not crazy about the design of the commemorative dollar, but will most likely buy one.

I wish they had used the old Scout logo, the one on the reverse is the brand new 100th anny logo. I prefer the historical one. Several organisations are redesigning logos to look more "modern" and I am not a big fan (like sports teams, government crests, roundels, or even the Air Force's new logo). I'll wait to see the finished coin before passing judgment, but I don't like the reverse new logo.

Ciao,

AWACS

Archived