CoinPeople.com

Zambian Currency Guide

Vfox

I'm a sucker for Zambia, ever since I got my first 20 kwacha a few years ago I've never stopped buying. I recently stumbled across this website with some good information as well as pictures of every modern type. (I'm curious if anyone knows what came before these?)

Anyway http://www.atsnotes.com/catalog/banknotes/zambia.html is the link.

I'm currently collecting my way backwards by type. I have the modern 20-50,000 kwacha notes; I am only missing the 1992, and 2001 10,000 notes from the modern fish eagle series.

Backwards on I am missing the 2 kwacha and 50 kwacha from the 1989 series. And then everything from 1974 back.

I've never collected a non-US series before and it tends to be difficult to find the variants from time to time. It is a fun task however and the general low cost of this series makes it possible to finish. As far as I understand it, the earliest 50 ngwee notes will be the most difficult to obtain. Fingers crossed, eh?

Thanks MMMM, that's a very handy site as well. I guess I should have learned a bit more about the country as well, eh?

Thanks Art, it's been fun collecting them, I've been at it for a little while and most of them are easy to come by. There are certain ones like the 1992 500 and 1000 kwacha that are paper and not polymer that tend to be a bit harder to come by, but overall the modern fish eagle series is an easy series to complete and beautiful to boot.

I like the 1964's but they are hard to find and a bit too expensive for me, even when they are in poor condition.

btw, do you collect all variations such as P-39a and P-39b or do you just collect one sample?

I like the 1964's but they are hard to find and a bit too expensive for me, even when they are in poor condition.

btw, do you collect all variations such as P-39a and P-39b or do you just collect one sample?

Of the newer fish eagle series I collect all the variants. I have several different versions of the 500-10000 kwacha notes. I still need some of the lower denominations but I can work on those later, they are fairly common still. Luckily the 20,000 and 50,000 only have one version so far which makes it easier on my budget.

Of the newer fish eagle series I collect all the variants. I have several different versions of the 500-10000 kwacha notes. I still need some of the lower denominations but I can work on those later, they are fairly common still. Luckily the 20,000 and 50,000 only have one version so far which makes it easier on my budget.

My collection of Zambian notes is small and limited to those that have animals on them. So I have only one example of each Pick from 23 to current and I am looking for P-1 through P-4 I am skipping over P-5 to 22.

Zambian banknotes are realy great to collect, enjoy.

My collection of Zambian notes is small and limited to those that have animals on them. So I have only one example of each Pick from 23 to current and I am looking for P-1 through P-4 I am skipping over P-5 to 22.

Zambian banknotes are realy great to collect, enjoy.

Interesting method of collecting. I dare say the first ones will run you a pretty penny though, I haven't found any of them for under $150 so far...and that is in pretty rough shape. I will keep looking for those until I can find them at a decent price. The 1970's issues are not too salty and they start the Kwacha as the denomination so I will likely get all of those first.

I just recently found a site selling the 5,000 Kwacha in unc for $1.75 each, that's quite a lot cheaper than I've seen on eBay and only about $0.70 over their converted value. I ordered a small stack. :ninja:

Archived