CoinPeople.com

I thought I'd asked this already but can't find it if I did!

PennyLoafer63

Its hard to tell , its worth getting a camera with macro function for coins Pennyloafer63 ,just about any digital camera will have it.Doesnt need to be an expensive one , the way kids go through those and cell phones the 2nd hand market must be heaving.

f62.jpg

With a digital you'll see the doubling without straining the eyes , its quite clear on that frankie from the R right down his profile..nice.I like this one better than my bugs bunny franklin because this is apparantly an unknown or at least undocumented error..how sweet is that ?

Its hard to tell , its worth getting a camera with macro function for coins Pennyloafer63 ,just about any digital camera will have it.Doesnt need to be an expensive one , the way kids go through those and cell phones the 2nd hand market must be heaving.

f62.jpg

With a digital you'll see the doubling without straining the eyes , its quite clear on that frankie from the R right down his profile..nice.I like this one better than my bugs bunny franklin because this is apparantly an unknown or at least undocumented error..how sweet is that ?

Yeaaaa,Pretty Sweet I gotta say!! ;) Yea exactly,that's where I first saw it,right down his profile and I think?? I see it on the right leg of the R' other than that I'm blind..LoL

I had that vivitar I bought but no matter what I did the color was alway's red,it had macro too,loved it when I bought it about 3 week's ago I guess but before the warranty ran out I took it back for many reason's.Not just one,My Goodness,I was spending 6-7 per day on the batteries! And you may not believe this but at 1st I got the duracell,gone in a few pix...then went and got the dg brand at the dollar store and honestly they lasted 2-3 time's longer,I don't know if it was the cam or me but we didn't agree with one another!

You guy's have coin's I've never even dreamed of because I didn't know they existed! You can tell I'm a homebody..LoL

I have seen some beauties here too!! I never once saw any other than our regular u.s coin's!

It's funny to me how a person basically handle's coins everyday their entire life and never once notice detail....I didn't know there were 2 Abe's on a cent!! I was flabbergasted ;)

Ya know one time year's ago before my husband passed he wasn't a collector but he'd stop traffic to grab a coin..LoL And one day he brought this one home he'd gotten somewhere & it was I think ;) a silver dollar and we noticed that it had a roman numeral V instead of the B on Liberty.....well year's later heck i wasn't thinking,just grabbed some change.OMG I took it and spent it,and I never lived it down...and about a yr. and half ago when I first started Cherrypickin' I came across a site that said they were intentionally made that way & oh i felt terrible that he never knew that.he thought I'd spent a fortune! :ninja:

Yeaaaa,Pretty Sweet I gotta say!! ;) Yea exactly,that's where I first saw it,right down his profile and I think?? I see it on the right leg of the R' other than that I'm blind..LoL

I had that vivitar I bought but no matter what I did the color was alway's red,it had macro too,loved it when I bought it about 3 week's ago I guess but before the warranty ran out I took it back for many reason's.Not just one,My Goodness,I was spending 6-7 per day on the batteries! And you may not believe this but at 1st I got the duracell,gone in a few pix...then went and got the dg brand at the dollar store and honestly they lasted 2-3 time's longer,I don't know if it was the cam or me but we didn't agree with one another!

You guy's have coin's I've never even dreamed of because I didn't know they existed! You can tell I'm a homebody..LoL

I have seen some beauties here too!! I never once saw any other than our regular u.s coin's!

It's funny to me how a person basically handle's coins everyday their entire life and never once notice detail....I didn't know there were 2 Abe's on a cent!! I was flabbergasted ;)

Ya know one time year's ago before my husband passed he wasn't a collector but he'd stop traffic to grab a coin..LoL And one day he brought this one home he'd gotten somewhere & it was I think ;) a silver dollar and we noticed that it had a roman numeral V instead of the B on Liberty.....well year's later heck i wasn't thinking,just grabbed some change.OMG I took it and spent it,and I never lived it down...and about a yr. and half ago when I first started Cherrypickin' I came across a site that said they were intentionally made that way & oh i felt terrible that he never knew that.he thought I'd spent a fortune! :ninja:

No camera should be eating batteries like that , unless of course you are using battery power to upload pics from the camera to the PC.Most cameras have memory cards and a USB card reader sure saves on batteries.A lot of computers have the card readers built in now too.

What amazes me about the US coins is the ones i never knew existed , 2c coins , half cents , trimes , theres some beautiful coins available , the walking liberty half being a particular fine design i think.

The more i learn about US coins the more similarities with UK coins i find,even in design.Both walking liberty and sitting liberty have more than a passing resemblance to brittania.

I never knew about the silver dollar with a V , i learn something new every day , thanks for that.On the 2 abes , i never thought about it but there is a tiny abe on the reverse between the centre pillars...is that right ?

No camera should be eating batteries like that , unless of course you are using battery power to upload pics from the camera to the PC.Most cameras have memory cards and a USB card reader sure saves on batteries.A lot of computers have the card readers built in now too.

What amazes me about the US coins is the ones i never knew existed , 2c coins , half cents , trimes , theres some beautiful coins available , the walking liberty half being a particular fine design i think.

The more i learn about US coins the more similarities with UK coins i find,even in design.Both walking liberty and sitting liberty have more than a passing resemblance to brittania.

I never knew about the silver dollar with a V , i learn something new every day , thanks for that.On the 2 abes , i never thought about it but there is a tiny abe on the reverse between the centre pillars...is that right ?

Yes,Inside the memorial,You will laugh now!! ;)

Is that what that little black thing was for? Told ya I don't get out much :ninja::rofl: I know 2 thing's for certain and that is that coin collector's and CP like myself never get bored..alway's room for surprises!! And if we have one coin we're never broke LoL Oh i jumped up and down when I found a euro,a bahamian cent,hawaian and gosh can't think of the other country now...LoL I didn't know there were 3 cent coin's ;) and certainly never knew there were half cent's! ;) so I guess we both learned something new but I have to admit,I never once thought I'd teach somebody about anything!

:yes:

Would this be genuine doubling?

On God Especially! ;)

My eye's are goner's!!! :ninja:

http://picasaweb.google.com/PennyLoafer63/ForumPix#

My two cents: It all depends on what you mean by "genuine doubling". I see doubling very clearly on your coin, even though the picture is somewhat out of focus, I do not see that it is from a doubled die. It looks very much like machine doubling (that also goes by other names). One sure clue is that shelf effect.

Scan0001-1.jpg

Look at the 'D' or 'O', in particular and compare both impressions of the Ds or Os - the main one and the 'double', if you will. Clearly the double is a much lower relief - like a shelf. Now, if it were struck from a doubled die, both instances of the D or O would be the same relief since the die itself has two Ds and two Os engraved into it (like when a hub strikes twice and has moved).

Compare the doubling on your coin with this one (which is one of my favorite pieces):

1939dmlm8.jpg

1939dmcuqq5.jpg

See how each instance of the doubling has the same relief (they are of the same height) - look at the Ls in Monticello, for example. That's from a doubled die.

It is not always easy for me to tell as sometimes machine doubling (which occurs from some kind of chatter of a normal die - do some searching if you are interested as I can't remember exactly how it occurs) can be very dramatic. Here is an example that really had me going.

1938djeffersonpu1.jpg

1938dcu1oq9.jpg

1938dcu2ae3.jpg

But again, see how one instance of the double is very low relief - a shelf effect. Also, the doubling on the mintmark is a red flag that it is not from a doubled die as well.

Even so, some of the double dies are very slight and they confuse a novice like me. Here is a Kennedy that I own where the doubling looks more like machine than from a doubled die - but it is slabbed by the expert TPG for errors and I trust them more than myself.

ddcuoj6.jpg

1966ddkslab2js9.jpg

There are some great quizzes on doubled dies - Cherrypicker's guide has one and there are a couple on line that are good as well. The more you see the easier it is to tell.

Hope that helps.

Right,well this particular coin look's alot different than the pic,I only have a flatbd scanner but I am almost 100 % sure you're right,One thing I was going on though was that I have read or been told...LoL ;) That a DD is consistent and affect's all the lettering,And that sometime's lock's my mind in.Don't know why I still have such a hard time distinguishing it,Like you guy's coin's...I can see it the second I see the coin here....Plain to see..just need a whole lot of practice I guess.shewwwwww..LoL Change of subject here :rofl:

Mr B. mentioned yesterday about going through my oldies and I found a 1964 P cent and I am telling you it look's like probably the day it was minted and the doubling is SO bold but I won't dare lay it on this scanner because it wouldn't do it justice anyway :ninja: just harm it so I guess I'll study it awhile now! ;) but I had totally forgotten I had it! Hard to believe that a coin older than me (not much older tho) LoL Can look that good isn't it?

But Thanks! You have enlightened me anyway!! and I do see what you mean! Now if I knew what I mean..we'd have something! ;)

Had to edit to add this..but Another thing I was going on is the deep valley on the letter G,Ill see if I can get a better pic to show ya what I mean! I am certain I confuse all yall,but when I say genuine,I guess I am asking is this Genuine Dblg? :yes::rofl: The good kind.....keeper,buyer,seller?? LoL :rofl: Need to be studying coin ettiquette huh? :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
My two cents: It all depends on what you mean by "genuine doubling". I see doubling very clearly on your coin, even though the picture is somewhat out of focus, I do not see that it is from a doubled die. It looks very much like machine doubling (that also goes by other names). One sure clue is that shelf effect.

Scan0001-1.jpg

Look at the 'D' or 'O', in particular and compare both impressions of the Ds or Os - the main one and the 'double', if you will. Clearly the double is a much lower relief - like a shelf. Now, if it were struck from a doubled die, both instances of the D or O would be the same relief since the die itself has two Ds and two Os engraved into it (like when a hub strikes twice and has moved).

Compare the doubling on your coin with this one (which is one of my favorite pieces):

1939dmlm8.jpg

1939dmcuqq5.jpg

See how each instance of the doubling has the same relief (they are of the same height) - look at the Ls in Monticello, for example. That's from a doubled die.

It is not always easy for me to tell as sometimes machine doubling (which occurs from some kind of chatter of a normal die - do some searching if you are interested as I can't remember exactly how it occurs) can be very dramatic. Here is an example that really had me going.

1938djeffersonpu1.jpg

1938dcu1oq9.jpg

1938dcu2ae3.jpg

But again, see how one instance of the double is very low relief - a shelf effect. Also, the doubling on the mintmark is a red flag that it is not from a doubled die as well.

Even so, some of the double dies are very slight and they confuse a novice like me. Here is a Kennedy that I own where the doubling looks more like machine than from a doubled die - but it is slabbed by the expert TPG for errors and I trust them more than myself.

ddcuoj6.jpg

1966ddkslab2js9.jpg

There are some great quizzes on doubled dies - Cherrypicker's guide has one and there are a couple on line that are good as well. The more you see the easier it is to tell.

Hope that helps.

That was a great help..Thank You! I think I see what you mean now by the relief?? And I actually do see exactly what you are saying! Me?? Caught on?? Not an expert yet but closer.....LoL :ninja:

That was a great help..Thank You! I think I see what you mean now by the relief?? And I actually do see exactly what you are saying! Me?? Caught on?? Not an expert yet but maybe 1% closer.....LoL ;)

You should put this up for newcomer's in beginner's section,it is a BIG help!!! :ninja:

Hmmmm,I had replied here and got to noticing,most of the post's I made today aren't showing up?

And it doesn't log me in automatically now? So what Am I doing wrong now? Assuming this one post's?? :ninja:

Well my Goodness! Now it show's up.....ROFL! ;) After i wrote this one! ;)

Archived