CoinPeople.com

Coin rolls

Hihosilver

Banks do work pretty well. According to how much time you put in it you can also check the cents against the varieties at coppercents . BTW roll searching is made a lot easier if you get one of the lighted magnifying glasses on a stand.

Banks do work pretty well. According to how much time you put in it you can also check the cents against the varieties at coppercents . BTW roll searching is made a lot easier if you get one of the lighted magnifying glasses on a stand.

From Da Bank,A Friendly Bank.......LoL :ninja:

Banks will be happy to give you rolls of both , bear in mind more often than not what you are getting is coins rolled by another customer who is doing pretty much the same thing.

The banks you will possibly find are not nearly so keen to take them back is another thing to consider,not on a regular basis.So pennyloafer is right , it will need to be a friendly bank or your landed with a whole bunch of change you probably dont want.

To be perfectly honest what ive found to be the best way to obtain the very best examples of modern coinage is stick tight with a forum of your choice , in time youll find people are quite willing to swap or help out.

Mr.B is right on!!

I have been to many forum's over the past 2 yrs. and ended up leaving within a day or so because to be honest,and not stepping on anybody's toes here,people are who they are but that's their choice and most just treat you like you're a nut! I mean if you,re new at it,how else are you gonna learn about it and every ? asked by a newbie is a good question no matter what other's think,If it weren't important to you,you wouldn't ask right? Just because it seem's silly to other's doesn't matter..and I have stayed here longer than I have in any forum anywhere! I know I probably got on people's nerves asking for help all the time,and still do ;) but Just learning to do what all these expert's in the field here do,so one day maybe I can answer a ? and help other's...LoL ;) And they can give a big ole sigh of sheer relief..LoL

and honestly......if I had to rate CP i'd give it a 9.99 deducting one percent because Art pick's on me!! :ninja: J/K

Very well put Pennyloafer , painfully honest and admirable.I hope you wont feel you get on peoples nerves here , as you rightly say there are none of us experts and we all started somewhere.

We each have varied interests and this time of year a forum is always going to be quiet , there will always be a like minded collector along to participate in any given topic.Its just a matter of sticking in and enjoying it.

Very well put Pennyloafer , painfully honest and admirable.I hope you wont feel you get on peoples nerves here , as you rightly say there are none of us experts and we all started somewhere.

We each have varied interests and this time of year a forum is always going to be quiet , there will always be a like minded collector along to participate in any given topic.Its just a matter of sticking in and enjoying it.

Thank You,Mr.B And I do enjoy my time here!! :ninja:

I can tell you this much,I am alway's online somewhere,I guess because heck I live alone so I have the time but my point is I have never once felt there wasn't anyone to help me, and honestly I don't think it's slowed down at all! there's always!!!!!!!! someone who answer's and help's ya even if someone else is working or out shopping..LoL Then another will help so believe me,if it were slow I'd notice..LoL

And to be honest sometime's you feel like you're aggravating somebody who has other thing's to do but that's everyday life.not just online..LoL

But that's my point,I have never felt that here but have in many forum's! From day one they've been nothing but helpful here and I was about to give up when I found CP! And I am so glad I stuck in it! ;)

If you can't find a friendly bank then I would suggest one with a coin counting machine, such as TD Bank. You don't waste people's time redeeming the coins that you don't want and there is usually no line at the machine.

Check the reject bin for silver and foreign coins. They will be free.

Also, bank tellers can be very friendly if you use PLEASE and THANK YOU and every once in awhile bring them a box of chocolates or donuts... :ninja:

Another note ask if they have any half dollars.

I have not done it for awhile but the bank I stopped at today had $140 dollars worth of halves. Out of that I hit a jack pot. $62 dollars of 40% (1965-1970) and one 1964 Kennedy half. :ninja:

I've never had any problems getting rolls from the bank. I mostly pick up pennies and nickels, which they are more than happy to get rid of.

Obviously, it's just the luck of the draw, but I've found that roughly 1 in 6 rolls will have a wheat penny, 1 in 3 will have a Canadian or other foreign cent, and about 20% of any given roll will be old copper cents.

Nickels are usually a better bet. About 1 in 2 rolls will have a nickel from before 1960, and 1 in 5 will generally have a nickel from before 1950, with 1940 being the most common by far. War nickels and nickels from the 30's are considerably more difficult to find. It apparently varies greatly depending on your region, but I tend to find at least 5 nickels from the "Westward Journey" series in any given roll.

I have never picked up rolls of dimes from the bank, but I typically see about $5-10 on a daily basis at work, most of which circulate in and out regularly. I've found a couple of BU dimes from the 70s and 80s, but I've only found 4 silver dimes, which I assume is what you are after.

I've had marginal luck with dollar coins, but expect about 90% of the non-presidents to be either 2000 Sacs or '79 SBA's. Quarters tend to be 50/50 with state quarters and regular ones. I've never found a bank that stocks half dollars.

If you are looking at getting started with some roll searching, I would strongly recommend getting started with nickels instead of dimes, since you pretty much always find something of interest in the nickel rolls. When it comes time to get rid of the extras, I would recommend spending them slowly on groceries or whatnot. If you turn them in and then come back in a week, odds are they'll just give you the same rolls back.

I've never had any problems getting rolls from the bank. I mostly pick up pennies and nickels, which they are more than happy to get rid of.

(Edit snip)

I've had marginal luck with dollar coins, but expect about 90% of the non-presidents to be either 2000 Sacs or '79 SBA's. Quarters tend to be 50/50 with state quarters and regular ones. I've never found a bank that stocks half dollars.

Edit snip)

Ditto on the above. I always ask about halves when I go to get a roll of prez dollars. I very rarely find them with half dollars. (Once every month or two or three :ninja: ) But some times you catch them just after some one has turned them in. Even when you find them it can be all or nothing deal. Sometimes you get rolls that have already been gone thru by someone, other times they haven't. This last group turned up great. 5 and a half rolls of 40% silver out of 14 rolls. Last time I got a batch of about 15 there was only one 40% silver half. I even tried ordering a box of halves thru the bank once. Not all banks will do it. Got $500 worth of halves about a week later and only got a few 40% halves. Right now a $10 roll of 40% goes for ~ $44 on ebay. (Spot for silver content of a 40% roll is ~ $50) I may ebay them not sure. If I do the money will go for a coin purchase.

A note to add on the prez dollars: I'm not sure how much luck you guys have had, but about half the time when I go and ask for a mixed roll of dollars to buff out my collection, they almost always give me entire rolls of the same president. I've gotten 2 rolls of Jefferson, 1 of Q. Adams, and 2 of Washington when I was really hoping to get my hands on only a few of each. Fortunately, many of them were still in the original mint rolls :ninja:

Archived