CoinPeople.com

Serial Numbers Same, Different prefix

boydle

Hi I just got some cash from the bank and found 2 new $50 Australian notes they have the same serial number but a different prefix eg

EL 08144829

GB 08144829

Is this something people are interested in? and if so is it worth the bother of trying to sell the notes as a pair?

Both notes are AU-UNC

I am not sure about how the reserve prints its notes but they came out of the ATM together I was getting out a rather large amount to pay for some other notes not I have the issue of do i spend the notes ;) there are a few in concecutive numbers and with this duplicate business going on as well.

I would have no idea about how collectable they are, but WOW how did this happen? :ninja:

It is quite common to find them especially for polymer notes. Sometimes, there may be even be four to five pieces with the same serial numbers with different prefixes. I have quite a few of them when I went through the Singapore polymer notes in stacks some years ago. Yes, some collectors do collect them.

It is quite common to find them especially for polymer notes. Sometimes, there may be even be four to five pieces with the same serial numbers with different prefixes. I have quite a few of them when I went through the Singapore polymer notes in stacks some years ago. Yes, some collectors do collect them.

People do collect matching serial numbers, but usually, it is different denominations. In fact, matching serial numbers of a series is a reasonably major area of collecting, so much so that the issuing Banks occasionally put out special commemorative sets. In the US there is also a tradition of collecting matching serial numbers of a particular denomination/series from all the issuing banks (there are 12 Federal Reserve Branches which issue notes in US).

Having said the above, there will likely be people who may go for what you have. What is the condition of the notes, if the notes are UNC or AUNC, you are likely to see some interest.

Balaji

Archived