CoinPeople.com

Edward IV groat variety???

Mat25

edward4groat.jpg

This is an Edward IV groat, I thought it was spink 2000, yet this particular coin has an additional pellet in one quarter of the reverse which is not apparent in the coin pictured in Spink 2009. I was hoping someone in here could help me, is it an error, is it a different spink number etc??? any info or thoughts would be great!

Here are a couple of close ups to help!

Image1.jpg

image2.jpg

This is an Edward IV Groat, as you state, of London. As you also note, it has an extra pellet in one quarter and this signifies it as being North 1567 with quatrefoils at the neck, small neat lettering and fleur on breast. Class VC.

Spink is not accurate or detailed enough to show every subclass, it only shows the general overviews.

Hope this helps.

This is an Edward IV Groat, as you state, of London. As you also note, it has an extra pellet in one quarter and this signifies it as being North 1567 with quatrefoils at the neck, small neat lettering and fleur on breast. Class VC.

Spink is not accurate or detailed enough to show every subclass, it only shows the general overviews.

Hope this helps.

I posted the same article on coinsgb and got an interesting reply from Rob, saying it could be a variety of S1973. If it is north 1567 class VC how can I find out the value etc? (not that im going to sell it, I just like to know what ive got). Also I dont have a copy of North although im looking at getting one soon, so how can I find out more information on this coin? Would you be able to send me a scan of the page in North? or is that against the rules?

thanks for your help though Clive, it is much appreciated as usual. I was going to email you about something I found out about another groat I own that we discussed a while back, il get round to that as some point soon.

:ninja:

Perhaps it is an example of 1973, but it looked more like a fleur on the breast than a trefoil. But I only looked at it quickly, looking at it in further detail, it does now look more like a Heavy Issue - the portrait even looks more sullen that the later issues. You've got me guessing now...

Email me your email address and I'll see what I can do... :ninja:

Archived