CoinPeople.com

Hammered James Vl question

Mr B

Hi , it would be a British Sixpence wouldnt it ? If James l of Scotland became James Vl when the Union was secured in 1603.Im looking for the diameter of the British (English James l/James Vl) sixpence , silver it looks like , i dont like to post the pic as it isnt my although i have bought the coin.Im certain now it is in fact a sixpence as the Vl appears on the obverse , it just seems very large for a sixpence.

The coin in my avatar id say is slightly bigger than a US quarter , is the James Vl about the same size ? From the photo which shows the previous owners fingers it appears to span almost 2 adult fingers whereas any sixpence ive seen is very much smaller , thanks

A James I Sixpence would be about 26mm in diameter if totally unclipped, otherwise it is usually about 23mm.

If it has VI behind the bust, then it is a sixpence.

Greetings Ye Olde Collector , thank you Sir , the very information i was looking for.The reputation that goes before you is well earned i see , thank you again Sir.

I took it upon myself to clip the pics a bit leaving just the coin , may i ask , how do you think ive done for my first James ? I suspect the obverse is nicer than the pic at first glance suggests.

Not a problem Mr B - glad I could be of assistance. :ninja:

I think you've done very well on your first outing! Relatively full flan, visible portrait, clear date with a solid reverse. Well done.

Thank you Ye Olde Collector , im now officially pleased with it.I think now ill hunker down and read more of the posts you and others have made to learn more of what im looking at , im certainly hooked on these and feel the need to reach even further back in time.

You should be pleased, it is one to be pleased with.

You should like the posts in the Virtual Museum here as well as http://historiccoinage.com/blog.php

If you really do like hammereds, then you might want to browse my New Purchase thread.

Kindest Regards,

Clive.

Thanks Mat25 , ill need to get a group pic of all the old Hammered coins ive accumulated of late.Its quite strange really cos if i place them in my hand together it looks all the world like a handfull of rubbish , a closer look reveals the truth.

Ive seen a couple of the shillings but nothing in seriously good shape and generally much overvalued for what it is as opposed to other coins of the era.

Good luck in your search mate :ninja:

• 4 weeks later...

You have got yourself what looks to be a lovely Sixpence there! :ninja:

Are you happy with your recent foray into English hammered? ;)

Yes indeed Clive , thank you.Its a real beauty,i got a hold of several other scottish turners Charles 1 and they are very fine indeed.I really want a stunning example of Edward or similar era , long cross pennies , my goal for the year is to get a few of both Kings and also an example in silver from William and Mary.

Yes indeed Clive , thank you.Its a real beauty,i got a hold of several other scottish turners Charles 1 and they are very fine indeed.I really want a stunning example of Edward or similar era , long cross pennies , my goal for the year is to get a few of both Kings and also an example in silver from William and Mary.

Good luck! English hammered coinage presents so many different opportunities, I'm sure you'll enjoy collecting them.

Just drop me a line if you ever need any help. :ninja:

Thank you Clive , thats very kind , i will do.While i have you here , im unsure who this fella is , i think its a charles l shilling ? Where should the date be ? Its heavily clipped and im under no illusions of anything other than what it is , price was right :ninja:

charlesithink.jpg

reverse.jpg

Thank you Clive , thats very kind , i will do.While i have you here , im unsure who this fella is , i think its a charles l shilling ? Where should the date be ? Its heavily clipped and im under no illusions of anything other than what it is , price was right :ninja:

charlesithink.jpg

reverse.jpg

This is indeed a Charles I Shilling. It dates from 1641-3 due to the mintmark of a triangle in circle. Most likely a Group F issue.

Thank you Clive , thats interesting about the mintmark , im going to have to get some books.I was bidding on an Alexander lll penny this morning but dropped out after it went through the my bidding ceiling , i was outbid in the end by a miserable 2 quid.My problem was i didnt know what was a good price , and what i was seeing was not a good looking price.

The Charles l should be here this week,its coming recorded delivery.Its not the prettiest coin but i think i got a good price there and its not as bad as all that , i just like seeing the portraits in place , so do others judging by the bidding :ninja:

Not at all Saor Alba , heres the link.Alll

Its the first time ive seen one on ebay and i just worried about correct ID and the price , i kinda regret not bidding more but i feel if id bit more so would the other guy , i dont think i was ever going to win that one , id need to have stayed up all night.

Can i ask , why not Berwick ?

Not at all Saor Alba , heres the link.Alll

Its the first time ive seen one on ebay and i just worried about correct ID and the price , i kinda regret not bidding more but i feel if id bit more so would the other guy , i dont think i was ever going to win that one , id need to have stayed up all night.

Can i ask , why not Berwick ?

Ta rich for my parsimonious Scot to ponder buying at 72 quid. Actually if you look at fleaBay a lot, there are many of them on there. I would rather recommend perusing Antony Wilson's site:

Yorkcoins.com

And canna forgets our very ownest Clive of Ye Olde Coin:

Hysterical Coinage.com :ninja:

Who occasionally has Scots provender - I bought a small hoard of AIII's from him sometime back.

The Berwick pennies are so common, I have read that at least 75% of pennies came from Berwick - no doubt due to the close proximity to what existed of silver mining then.

I like the rares:

scottish28pts.jpg

A very rare 28 pointer, maybe from Ayr or somewhere small.

I feel ive found the right place here with you guys,you've all been very helpful and ive learned much in a short time.Thank you for the links Saor Alba , ill put them to good use.

Do you know , ive downloaded a great many very old guides to Scottish and English coinage from google books , i seen some dude selling a cd full on ebay , they are free to download , extremely interesting.

Did your Granny ever tell you "whits fir ye'll no go by ye?" ... its true enough , im glad now i didnt buy the Alll this morning as for half the money i got a stunning Henry Vl and an Edward ll in nice condition , the Henry is a real looker.

Archived