CoinPeople.com

Did the Nazis stamp their banknotes?

Rhino

Hey guys, I recently came across this WWII note from Croatia, year 1941 according to Pick ... notice the stamp in the corner with the eagle:

stamp1.jpg

stamp2.jpg

I bought it out of absolute curiosity, I collect WWII notes and have never seen a stamped note of this kind or of any country really except ones stamped by allied forces immediately after the war.... The seller had this note and also a 20 Reichsmark that had a similar stamp but the note was extremely worn so I didn't take it. I'm just really perplexed here.... would there be a purpose in stamping notes?

Any input much appreciated :ninja:

Oh, and anyone who can read German feel free to translate the seal.. all I can make out is "Fuhrer" and what I think are creepy SS Runes ;)

The note is real, the stamp is not. People are creating the handstamps - stamping the notes and selling them on eBay. Essentially they are fantasies. If you look in the paper money section there are literally dozens of these for sale at any given time, occupation notes, regular German notes, invaded countries notes etc.

• 4 years later...

The note is real, the stamp is not. People are creating the handstamps - stamping the notes and selling them on eBay. Essentially they are fantasies. If you look in the paper money section there are literally dozens of these for sale at any given time, occupation notes, regular German notes, invaded countries notes etc.

I agree that it is most likely that people are stamping these notes for the appeal on ebay, I buy and sell WWII and other currency. In my research, I have not been able to confirm (or deny) that the Nazi's or the party/government ever stamped currency. These stamps were most commonly used to stamp documents, things like official documents, passports and orders, etc. However, as I said, I cannot find any reason or proof (thus far) that currency was ever stamped. I will say, the stamps however being used "might" actually be authentic though. The original wooden stamps used are rare and can go for a pretty penny at auction or sale to collectors. I happen to have a set of wooden stamps that were used during this time - often these stamps, usually pressed on an ink pad and then slammed onto a document to make official or confirm receipt, or to cancel a document face (the stamp pad is typically metal and not as effective as a rubber stamp - so it requires quite a bit of force to make a good impression or it requires a soft surface behind the document or item to be stamped).

I also have a few notes that are also stamped like this and I tend to agree that they are stamped to increase the perceived value of a note (such as on ebay) but in fact, if the note is in good shape, it is most likely, the stamp merely decreases the actual collector value of the item - but as you said, out of curiosity and for whatever appeal it might have for a potential buyer, it can been seen on ebay, people are buying them and often they are paying more for stamped notes - even though it realistically defaces the historical value of it.

Very interesting thread. I actually thought many notes were stamped by the German forces to indicate they were valid for trade as a means of black market control. Probably only a false legend.