CoinPeople.com

Ducat of 1796 Catherine II

Thee_Immortal_One

Question for RWJ.

Stacks/Coin Galleries auctioned off a 1796 ducat in their November 6, 1996 Mail Bid Auction, Lot# 1963. Was this one of the 22 known specimens?

TI on truncation

Probably Obverse A and Reverse 1

I am unable to find this specimen in my database and do not have this sale catalogue. If

you are able to send me (edit.rns@comcast.net) a jpeg of the illustration I can check it

against my photographs.

RWJ

Here is the coin scan from my 2008 posting to this forum.

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I have this specimen in my database but I

had earlier searched under Stack’s & Coin Galleries. It is, as you thought, the

Obverse A / Reverse 1 combination. It is marked as being downloaded from this

forum in April 2008.

It is an historic and valuable coin, well worth owning.

RWJ

ducat_1796.jpg

Here is the coin scan from my 2008 posting to this forum.

Thank You for the RNS article.

For those wondering what it was like buying Russian Coins before the Price Arms Race, the catalog expected price was $800.00 to $1000.00 and it was just another entry with illustration, nothing special. I won the auction with a bid of $550.00, much to my surprise. And that is what it was like to collect Russian Coins, gold and otherwise, in the mid 1990s.

:ninja:

;)

;)

:yes:

;)

:rofl:

For those wondering what it was like buying Russian Coins before the Price Arms Race, the catalog expected price was $800.00 to $1000.00 and it was just another entry with illustration, nothing special. I won the auction with a bid of $550.00, much to my surprise. And that is what it was like to collect Russian Coins, gold and otherwise, in the mid 1990s.

Ah, the good old days... :ninja:

The coin appears to have been bent in the past and then straightened back. Could that be some kind of a test, e.g. pure gold (soft) would bend relatively easily, while a gold plated fake coin wouldn't? I recall reading about something like this. Does this make sense? Especially because one needs teeth to do the alternative test and that might be a problem, especially in those days... :ninja:

The coin appears to have been bent in the past and then straightened back. Could that be some kind of a test, e.g. pure gold (soft) would bend relatively easily, while a gold plated fake coin wouldn't? I recall reading about something like this. Does this make sense? Especially because one needs teeth to do the alternative test and that might be a problem, especially in those days... :ninja:

Many gold coins (especially high fineness gold coins such as a ducat) of this era are found bent and straightened (most likely, just as you thought, as a test for gold's softness).

since these coins are russian and they were being circulating/donating in russia, a dentistry over there was not and never been about even close to the US high level, and technology and dentistry are always behind of US, so poor russians had no choice but test it using by teeth in/on any occasions (including myself);

regards to famous collections there were no such coins as trouble one in this post, no "many";

i just looked at famous Leonid Soderman collection - all coins of that period are nice :ninja:

Archived