CoinPeople.com

Cleaned or not? (1909-S Indian Cent on Heritage)

bobh

I've seen metal striations in many different coins before; some of the later-date IHC will show "tiger stripes".

But look at the reverse of this one: http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?S...mp;Lot_No=22361

Have you ever seen stripes go in two different directions, like on this coin? I'm trying to decide whether it might have been cleaned before. At any rate, XF-40 seems a bit high for this one considering that the ribbon and hair are NOT distinct.

Does look odd. Also look at the top section of the shield. In the deeper sections it has what looks like clean sections. A 40 you would expect dirt to accumulate. And really it looks like three directions. The lower part tilts down, the middle straight across and the light lines going almost straight down.

Interesting. I've never seen crossing stripes either. Normally, I'm OK with tigerstriping but on this coin, tigerstriping (or cleaning or whatever) is not attractive. I wouldn't bid on it unless I really needed it for my collection.

thumbs down.

And may I ask, who DOESN'T need it for their collection? :ninja:

bobh, I've seen your coins over the years. One or two of them may be gracing the CP logo at the top of this page. But PLEASE don't add that one to your collection. Another 1909-S IC will come by.

If one doesn't, I hear you can order out for some at your local Chinese restaurant.

bobh, I've seen your coins over the years. One or two of them may be gracing the CP logo at the top of this page. But PLEASE don't add that one to your collection. Another 1909-S IC will come by.

Thanks for the kind remarks ... but there's nothing to worry about!

If one doesn't, I hear you can order out for some at your local Chinese restaurant.

:ninja:

Archived