CoinPeople.com

Unedged Coins

alexbq2

I have a couple of Elizabethan coppers (1 and 2 kopeeks) that appear to have skipped edging. Sigistenz has posted on Omincoins an interesting 1764 EM 5 kopeeks, overstruck on a 1762 10 kopeeks, that is also has not been edged. I don’t know if coins were redeged during the 1762 and 1763-1767 overstrikings. Either way, it suggests that a fair bit of Elizabethan copper coins were never edged.

As we have quite a few experienced collectors here, I would like to know if anyone has noticed this, and how widespread is this defect?

I have a couple of Elizabethan coppers (1 and 2 kopeeks) that appear to have skipped edging. Sigistenz has posted on Omincoins an interesting 1764 EM 5 kopeeks, overstruck on a 1762 10 kopeeks, that is also has not been edged. I don’t know if coins were redeged during the 1762 and 1763-1767 overstrikings. Either way, it suggests that a fair bit of Elizabethan copper coins were never edged.

As we have quite a few experienced collectors here, I would like to know if anyone has noticed this, and how widespread is this defect?

My only unedged Elizabethan coin is an overdate, 5kop1761/0. Judging from my own coins, I think the 1762 overstrikes were not reedged. The 1763etc. overstrikes were reedged by MM, SPM and SM, but not by EM. At least this is what I see from my own coins. Sigi

5kop1761over0smoothedge.jpg :ninja:

By sigistenz

Here you are, Alex - but with this one I am not absolutely sure whether the edge netting has not been not tooled away.

I think the edge should show more wear.

On the other hand the diameter is still very large (44mm), the coin would have been even broader before tooling - and why should it have been done? :ninja: Sigi

5kop1764emoverstrike.jpg

By sigistenz