CoinPeople.com

Princeps Iuventutis (question)

Drusus

I am looking over the paltry amount of information pertaining to the Emperor Volusianus and I see that he was, just before he became co-ruler, a holder of the title Princeps Iuventutis which I assume means "prince of youths" or "first among the young". This is almost always what an emperor bestows upon a young man to designate and heir. Am I right in assuming that anyone holding this designation would be under age?

Nero, at age 14, when attaining the toga virilis in AD 51 also had the title Princeps Iuventutis bestowed on him. So I assume the Princeps Iuventutis was not given untill at least age 14,the accepted start of maturity at that time.

I would hazard a guess that Volusianus was 14 to 18 years old, but I could be wrong, as the titles & their usage changed over time.

Perhaps, till a new title was bestowed Princeps Iuventutis was still used, so he could have been a lot older. Like the Prince of Wales, he so remains a prince until such time as he becomes king, if ever.

Thats what I was wondering about. Nero is quite a bit before. This is still well within the principate system but it is also during the 3rd century crisis. I know they got a little fast and loose with the rules there but I figure any grown man would not want to have Iuventutis in his title. :ninja: Thus I assumed Volusianus having just been Caesar and Princeps Iuventutis, was probably still a young man at the time. He appears bearded so, as you say, anywhere between 16 to 18. Maybe a bit younger but probably not much older. So he was probably born around 235.

Archived